Question: Sudden Rash-Blisters all over Infant (picture)

JynMeyer - Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:28 am

I just noticed that my 16 month old has little pin point raised fluid filled blisters all over his body.
Head, chest and back, legs, bottom, bottom of his feet, etc.

I figured it was probably a reaction to something, but he hasnt eaten anything abnormal that we know of tonight. He isnt normally sensitive to lotions, soaps, etc. either and he's walking around in a diaper, so no clothes irritations.
He doesnt have a fever and he doesnt seem to be irritated by it yet- no burning or itching.

I gave him some benadryl antihistamine, and I'm waiting to see if it goes away- what might have caused this?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:58 am

User avatar Hi JynMeyer,
Of the blisters that have ruptured is there a crusted appearance? Has your child been exposed to chicken pox in the last 2-3 weeks? Has there been any recent fever? Without any evidence of an allergic reaction I would consider chicken pox. I suggest a call to the pediatricians office for an evaluation.
 JynMeyer - Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:17 am

None have ruptured yet and he hasnt had a fever or seemed Ill at all. As far as contact, who knows? We have gone to the grocery store off and on, and we had a trip to Shriner's hospital Spokane the day before yesterday where we stayed all day, but wouldnt that be too soon for a breakout?

I have three other children ages 5 1/2, 4 1/2, and 2 1/2- could any of them have been around someone with it and passed it onto him without catching it themsleves?

He's still asleep at the moment, but I did check out the chicken pox scenerio last night on the internet. Im wondering at what age they normally give the chickenpox vacine? He's over due for his 1 yr shots, we just had our medical insurance activate after a new job waiting period.

* I just checked on him and the bumps are still there, even after giving him the antihistimine last night, so I think we will end up getting it checked out, thank you.

-Jyn

Edited to add: I am attaching a picture of his side from this morning, for others to see. He is laying on his belly here, this is his left side and back.
Image

Rntdj wrote:Hi JynMeyer,

Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:01 pm

User avatar Hi JynMeyer,
The recommendations by the CDC is to vaccinate children between 12-18 months.Although vaccinations can be done to older children as well. It usually takes approximately 2 weeks after exposure for the symptoms to appear. People with chicken pox can spread the disease from approximately 2 days before their symptoms appear until all of their blisters are crusted over. In children a rash is usually the first sign of illness. It begins on the scalp, moves to the chest, back, stomach, arms, legs etc. The rash is usually very itchy but this would be somewhat difficult to tell in a child so young. The small blisters rupture and crust over.It is possible for someone to be exposed and not catch the virus. It is difficult for me to tell from the picture(although it does look suspicious for chicken pox) but let me post this for you and you can compare. I would again suggest an evaluation. :) I hope this helps.
Image
 JynMeyer - Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:09 pm

Thank you!

They are only one or two blisters on his face, and the same for his arms and legs- the majority of them seem to be on his back and chest, and possibly a few on his scalp- but he has a full head of hair.

I realized that even if it IS CP, theres nothing really anyone can do about it except keep him away from other people and keep him comfortable until it passes. He did miss his 1 year shots last September, so who knows.

I gave him some more benadryl (this time I shook it really well in case the last dose was mainly syrup seperated from) and he's on his way out to a nice long nap.

Im hoping time will tell. :-)

-Jyn

Rntdj wrote:Hi JynMeyer,
Image

JynMeyer - Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:12 pm

I just took another shot now of his back- the antihistamine isnt doing anything but making him drowsy.

Image

-Jyn
 momtopandk - Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:44 pm

Hi. I noticed that you posted this almost a year ago, so i am hoping you see this, but my son has had a rash exactly like this for the last 2 1/2 weeks and the doctors do not know what is causing it. Can you tell me what this rash ended up being or did it just go away? My son has had his chicken pox vaccine already and he is 17 months old. Thanks so much.
 tonyia18 - Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:22 pm

Hello all children ecspecially one so young should be seen by a doctor when a rash comes, you never know what it could be and some rashes can be similar but not the same thing or type of medicine needed...... some babies get thrush ask a doctor about it///
 momtopandk - Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm

In my post I stated that the doctors do not know what is causing it, so you can tell from that I've already had him to the doctor for this rash. Twice actually. They do not have a definitive answer. That is why I am here looking for some other avenues to figure this out. Thanks.
 JynMeyer - Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:08 am

It was Roseolla. :-) He got it again also.

Hope this helps others.
-Jyn

|