doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Throat Spurs

rlh - Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:25 pm

I was diagnosed with throat spurs 2yrs ago. This condition makes it hard to eat anything because it gets stuck in my throat I have had to have food removed because I was choking.. However I have not been able to get a straight answer on this subject as to what exactly are throat spurs and how can this condition be treated. earlier this week I was forcing down a sandwich as usual and my throat began to hurt really bad it feels as if somthing cut it on the way down. soda and tea burns it now. but on one side I seem to be able to pass the food down a little easier. I am also curious to know if these "spurs" can break off and if they do can they cause bleeding or other complications that I need to be aware of.? I am unable to see a doctor until January because of insurance lapse when I changed companies. but being a truck driver and alone most of the time I want to make sure that I find out all I can so I can look for danger signs. Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
Dr. Russell M - Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:03 pm

Hi!

How was this throat spur diagnosed? What was your doctor's opinion as to the cause for this and its management? Was the doctor an ENT/head & neck surgeon?

bill
rlh - Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:17 am

It was diagnosed when I had to have some food removed because I was choking,( they put me under anesthia to go in and remove the food) . After they said that I had throat spurs but did not explain what they were.. but they did say it was not cancer. Yes it was a ENT surgen and he wanted me to come back but because of insurance issues I have been unable to, he mentioned that he had never seen this before and would not go into detail. However, the only management he spoke of was to have it removed. but did not elaborate any further as to cause or what type of damage it could cause or the risk in the removal .
several years ago while at the dentist they mentioned that I had something "hanging" in my throat and they were not sure what it was or what it was attached to, but they could see it.
As I mentioned in my last post something on one side seemed to "break" off and food is going down much easier but it still hangs up.. it must have been very hard because it cut my throat going down. It is located behind the adams apple slightly to the lower half . I can feel it with my fingers.
I have tried to research this and I have come up empty. I would really like to know what this condition is or has it been mistaken for something else. I will be able to see a doctor in January but until then I would like to find out all I can about this, and also to be able to look for any warning signs that may not allow me to wait until January I do not want to be a regular in the emergency room for this.
any information on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance for your time...
Woody - Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:37 pm

I have a large bone spur on my cervical spine heading towards my throat area which does not yet interfere terribly with eating. I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in spinal surgery to see if it needed removing. He does this surgery quite a bit and told me it doesn't need to be removed....yet. When it interferes more with eating, they will take it off. Have you been to an orthopedic surgeon? They sent me for a scan of my esophagus (you drink some barium) and it shows your esophagus being pushed out. The bone spurs are generally Arthritis related. I have them all over the place, I'm 50 and they said they're probably genetic in my case. Hope this helps you.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.