Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

KiMiLiNa1619 - Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:03 pm

I really need somebodys help. For the past month ive been getting horrilble nose bleeds. Ones that last from 15 to 20 minutes. I get very dizzy during the nosebleeds and some of the time they are running down the back of my throat to where im choking on them(blood clots). Very gross and graphic I know but I need someones input on this situation as to what may be causing this. I used to get them really bad about 3 years ago and I went to the doctor and he said that it was an iron deficiency problem. So I started taking iron pills daily and that did seem to help a bit but they came back and its getting to the point where I cant go out anymore or hold onto a job because they are interfering with daily life. They come out of no where....ill just be having a conversation with a friend and blood will suddenly start pouring out of both of my nostrils. The amount of blood is what scares me. Ive seen people with nose bleeds who can just stick a piece of tissue up one nostril and it will pass in about 5 minutes or so. The blood loss makes me extremely weak and dizzy and its very scary. Huge blood clots coming out. My parents don't do much to help, because when I get these nose bleeds they look at me like I have a problem. So if anyone could give me some input that would be great. This really worries me. The nosebleeds sometimes even occur while im in a deep sleep..and ill wake up choking. THANKS ALOT AND TAKE CARE- JAMIE
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:28 am

All individuals suffer occasional nose bleeds, of which the great majority are minor and occur on the anterior septum where they are easily managed. Occasionally patients present with severe, life-threatening, epistaxis arising from the larger vessels in the posterior and superior nasal cavity. Such bleeds occur primarily in older patients, often with significant co-morbidities. Bleeding compromises the patient's airway and results in hemodynamic instability.
You must seek medical attention from an experienced otolaryngologist. He will consider various surgical procedures, including cautery, and may suggest angiography with embolization.

KiMiLiNa1619 - Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:44 pm

Thankyou for your help!!!
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:42 am

Dear Jamie,

Please, check your blood pressure to make sure that these nose bleeds are due to high blood pressure.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.