doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Weird throat problems

user42 - Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:46 pm

For quite a while I've had this problem, and it dosn't seem to be getting any better. I get buildup of a strange solid off white stuff in the back of my throat. It seems to be coming from to glands of some sort, one on either side of my throat, under my tonsels. This causes me to have a sore throat sometimes. If I use my finger to apply pressure to the area, the white stuff comes out, it seems like there is a never ending supply of it in there. Even when I manage to get most of it out, it always comes back. Today I examined one of the things and its off white, almost yellow and they all seem to have a brownish little dot in the center of them. They are also quite stinky. I brush my teeth a lot and use mouthwash everyday but it keep this phenomenon from happening. I asked my doctor about it but he seemed to think it was just food buildup. I am worried it is something more insidious, and it causes me to worry a lot. Does anyone have any advice? Could this be some sort of cancer or parasite or something?
hanna - Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:08 am

Hi there!
Not to worry. This has happenned to me regularily for some time. I would feel kinda scratchy in my throat and would see white stuff near the sides of my throat - kinda in your little side flaps in the throat (no other way to describe them). If you poke them, whitish, yellow chunks come out. Mine even bled a little.
After consulting my Dr., she said it was actually plaque that builds up. There is no way to stop it and it just happens more on some people than others. Unfortuantealy she said I have sticky plaque that gets trapped in there where most people's just gets washed away. Even if you are a staunch tooth brusher that means you loosen the sticky plaque sending more of it down the throat and more of it to get stick on those nasty flaps. (Which she said ar not that nasty as they also catch "bugs" that go down your throat so you don't get sick.
CeeeBeeee - Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:59 am

I have this exact same thing and I too don't know if I should be worried or not. I am trying to search the web now for answers but I can't seem to find anything. Everything that you said I have so you're not alone. hopefully we can find some answers.
charp - Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:54 pm

Me too, I have the same problem.... I had white stuff appearing at first on my right gland
and it went away after a few weeks... now it started on my left side about 2 weeks ago and starting today my gland is really sore and swollen. Everything you described I have the same thing... really aweful smelling, slightly yellowish color and on occasion have had it bleed.... I'm going to try and see my doctor soon and see what he says.... it has me worried..... if anyone else finds out anything pm me
camara - Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:11 pm

Hello everyone.
When you say off white/yellow stuff, is it lumpy, like does it come out like a little ball of
stuff, or is it just liquidy stuff like mucous?

C
Web-Medic - Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:31 am

Hello to all of you,

Tonsilolith or tonsil stone are made up of sulphur compounds, bacteria and the mucous from post nasal drip. They form in the tonsil crevices and pockets in the back of the throat in the tonsils. Everyone has them, some have more than others. They arenít pieces of food, they are a mixture of sulphur compounds, bacteria and mucous and they really do stink. Your throat may start Itching, you have an urge to Cough and up comes this Ö thing. You can gargle with salt water, mouth wash or lavage your tonsils with a large syringe (no needle) to flush the Tonsilolith out, donít pick at them, you can cause an infection or you can push it deep into the tonsil crevice causing an absess. If it really bothers you, get your Eustachian (inner ear) tubes checked out and your sinuses checked for infection by your physician. Cut down on foods that make mucous in your mouth like milk products and gargle well after eating. They don't cause cancer or any real harm to your throat but they can cause bad breath.
camara - Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:55 pm

Oh the human body is just so lovely :P
Thank you for your response.

C
mono - Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:15 am

Here is a tool that might help get out the white stuff: It is called a Monoject # 412 Syringe, used for cleaning out pockets in the back of mouth after having wisdom teeth removed, this instrument could be used to clear out white stuff in the back pockets as well. This is not a needle! Ask a dentist about this tool, used for washing out open pockets while healing from having wisdom teeth removed. Hope this helps.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.