Question: Constant Muscle Twitching

Spark - Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 pm

A muscle near my left knee will not stop twitching when I'm at rest. It pulses irregularly and constantly, and drives me absolutely crazy. I can't sleep, can't focus, and I seriously am going mad. This has been going on for at least a week.

I'm not much more stressed out than usual, and I have been doing the same amount of physical activity as usual.

This has happened before in other parts of my body like my calf or arm or back, but never for a week like right now.

Does ANYONE know how to make it stop? I've tried taking a hot bath, using an icy hot patch, taking tylenol/advil/asprin, eating a banana, even drinking pickle juice.

I'm going insane here.
 Marceline F, RN - Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 am

User avatar Dear Spark,
It would help possibly to know some other details about you and your normal state of health. How old are you? Do you have any medical problems? When you say physical activities,what kind of activities are you referring to? Muscle strains can cause muscle spasms.Deficiencies in certain electrolytes in your system can contribute (you hit part of that one on the head by eating bananas). Supplemental magnesium, calcium and potassium as part of a healthy vitamin regimen can help alleviate some muscle spasms. Overusing a particular muscle that is not used to it can cause a strain that takes time to heal. Certain medical conditions, and sometimes certain medications can have symptoms or side effects of muscle spasms. If the spasms continue, you may wish to consider being seen at an urgent care center, local health clinic, or your private doctor if you have one.
 Spark - Thu May 17, 2007 5:51 am

I'm sixteen, no health problems, and by physical activity I mean lacrosse every day after school. I play basketball and lacrosse throughout the year, so I'm in pretty good shape. Practices lately have not been particularly difficult. I don't think its irritation of that particular muscle either, becuase it doesn't hurt or anything and it's not sore, it just wont stop twitching. It's a very small muscle to the uppar inside of my knee, maybe the length of my thumb, a little smaller.
 Marceline F, RN - Sat May 19, 2007 5:08 am

User avatar Dear Spark,
Without being able to see you and evaluate your muscle twitch, it is difficult to even guess what may be wrong. Have you discussed this concern with your pediatritian? Is your coach a seasoned coach who may be able to shed some insight into this? There are sports medicine specialists also at some of the bigger gyms and rehab centers that may also have some insight for you.

|