News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: mysterious leg pain

mrsmurray - Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:33 am

I am having leg pain on the inner and somewhat posterior side of my left leg that runs from just above my ankle to almost the top to my thigh. The pain feels like deep bruising, but no bruise is apparent. No recent exercise or injury to the area. Does not feel like a pulled muscle.
I am 44 y.o. and am in the midst of an IVF cycle, have been on Lupron since Sept. 2, and estrogen since Sept 16.
The pain started in my calf around Sept 14 and ran in a straight line up my calf. Woke on the morning of Sept 16 with a stronger pain running up my thigh. No discoloration, no heat, no swelling, no itching, no fever. Yesterday pain was not improved, and left leg felt slightly warmer along path of pain. Some pain seemed slightly more localized in a spot an inch or two above the knee- still inner and somewhat posterior side. Pain is minimal when sitting still, increased when walking, and even more increased when the area is pressed down upon. Still feels like deep bruising. (Also possibly of note, had an acupuncture treatment- lower leg & ankle areas only, on Sept. 15. Acupuncturist does not feel treatment could have caused these symptoms, but who knows?)
Went to the ER yesterday to rule out DVT. Ultrasound done and no clots seen, but no explanation or advise was otherwise given. Last night I noticed a very slightly swollen area in the spot of localized pain near the knee- about 3-4 cm diameter with irregular edges, very slightly blanched looking.
This morning that same area does not look raised, but still looks blanched, with a light pink/red spot in the middle, about 1 cm oval. I'm sure some the associated factors listed are red herrings, but since I don't know which ones, I include all that I think might be remotely related.
Any ideas?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:35 pm

User avatar Hi!

Did your doctor run any blood tests on you? When was your last BP checked, and how much was it? Have you had any recent camping or outing history, insect/tick bite?

From your description, since DVT is ruled out, cellulitis [skin infection] could be another cause. How do you feel now?

bill
 Kick153 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:34 pm

mrsmurray, did you ever find out about your mysterious leg pain?? Sounds like I have the same thing.....Bill asked about bug bites. I was bitten by something right before this started. Think it might have been spider as I saw quite a few while spreading mulch in our flower beds.

Dr. has done tests for DVT, like you, with no evidence of clot. No pain on rest, however, when walking it feels like an imaginary rubber band being pulled tight, making it very uncomfortable to straighten my leg. My "blotches" started as a pinkish/red center and have spread into what looks like a clump of tiny veins.

I had blood drawn today for tests. Dr. said he could feel lymph nodes in my groin area, but he is clueless as to what the problem is. Sure would be interested to talk with you regarding this if you happen to notice my message.
Thanks,
Kick153

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here