Question: swollen middle finger

deadhead4eva - Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:29 am

The middle finger on my left hand is very swollen. I can not bend it. My finger has a throbbing pain and it is warmer to the touch then the other fingers. Under the nail there is a thick rid line that goes all the way to my cutticle. I did not get my finger stuck in a door, I was not gardening, and I do not recall being bitten by a bug of any sort. I have tried icing it and using heat, neither of which is working. Just wanted to know if anyone here has any idea as to what it might be. I should also mention that the area that is swollen is that last knuckle of that finger. The finger hurts if I touch it because it is so swollen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:38 pm

Judging from your history you seem to have a condition called acute paronychia which might extend to give rise to a pulp space infection. However, please note that I am advising you only on the basis of your complaint. If this is the diagnosis, then this cndition needs urgent surgical intervention so better go and see your doctor immediately!!
 deadhead4eva - Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:21 am

i went to the emergency room last night because there was an infection. they numbed it, put a whole in my finger nail and drained it. now i have to remember to take the antibiotics. thanks for your advice and have a great day.
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Wish you a prompt recovery!!
 IN_pain - Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:11 pm

I have a similiar problem, My middle finger is swollen also, but only the tip of it is swolen.on the right side of my middle.I didnt do anything to it that would cause it to be this swollen,I want to poke it with a needle to let the blood out that is swelling. I also have iced it but did not work.do you know what it could be?

|