Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lump on anus, what type of doctor to see?

raja - Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:34 am

Hello, i am only 24 years old, and healty. i found a little lump on the outer skin of my anus, it doesnt hurt so far and smaller than a pea. it's soft.
i am scared, could it be cancer? i don't have a personal doctor. if i go to the hospital, what type of doctor should i ask for to see this type of problem?
please help, thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:30 am

User avatar Hi raja,
Hemorrhoids essentially are inflammed veins in the anus/rectum that result from straining, as in with constipation etc. These may become painful, itch, burn, bleed, etc. A General Practitioner will be able to identify if this is actually your problem. Specialists that deal with these types of conditions are Gastroenterologists, and Colorectal specialists.
 raja - Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:39 am

Theresa Jones, RN wrote:Hi raja,

thank you so much Theresa!

but mine doesnt itch, and isnt painful at all. it's been 3 days and hasnt gone away. i do have very bad constipation, and i am changing my diet to get better. mine doesnt bother me at all. i can hardly feel it, no itch and no pain, it's very small, and i can only feel it after going to the bathroom. is it definitely hemorrhoid?

would it go away itself? or do i have to go to a doctor? if it doesnt go away itself, how long should i wait if it doesn't go away to seek advice from a doctor? and if it does, how long does it normally take?

thank you again!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:50 pm

User avatar Hi raja,
The only way to determine that you have a hemorrhoid is by an examination. Hemorrhoids are relatively common and may not be symptomatic (causing itching, burning, pain, or bleeding). They may not completely disappear, goal is to keep them from becoming irritated and enlarging by adding fiber to the diet and drinking plenty of water to minimize episodes of constipation. Have an evaluation by your physician to assure this is the problem. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

|