The Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: small lump between legs

himey135 - Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:18 am

Im a 19 year old male.....recently I woke up one morning and fond a small lump (about the size of a "small" marble) almost exactly between the legs, almost right between the scrotum and the anus...(about an inch away from each). This lump is very tender when I apply pressure, there is no change in skin texture, seems to be under the skin...now two days before, one night I suddenly felt my stomach feeling very very uneasy (like I had to go the bathroom) and it felt like I also had to urinate very badly (sort of stinging), even though I just used the washroom...this lasted for about an hour then just went away....I am also feeling a very less severe sort of this discomfort often since that happened....I don't think this is std related (not sexually active for almost a year)I was just wondering if this is related, if or if not, what could it be?...any help would be so appreciated. I really would like to know if this is serious.....sorry for length
Dr. Pradeep Bhandari - Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:36 am

Hi Himney,

I guess it has been a bit late in answering your questions and you might have already been cured of your problems by now. But the following information may be of help to you or someone else in the future.

You have ruled out STDs as the cause of your problems based on your inactive sex life for a year or so. This is not a strong ground to exclude this possibility as the effect may sometimes be seen long after you had an active sex life. However, I believe that you did not have other associated findings such as ulcers on the skin, swelling of the glands in the groin, painful urination and discharge from the penis that could create suspicion about the possible link. Therefore, letís leave this possibility aside.

Other common causes for such transient swelling and painful micturition are: Urethritis and Prostatitis. Urethritis, an infection of the urethra, the pathway for urine and semen, is a common cause for marked pain or a burning sensation during urination or erection and a discharge from the urethral opening on the tip of the penis. There are several possible causes of urethritis. It could also be related to masturbation, and if it is, one should try to avoid excessive rubbing around the urethral opening, to prevent irritation in that area. An allergy to the lubricant, if used, could also cause the pain due to an inflammation of the urethra. Prostatitis is a general term for inflammation of the prostate gland - an organ about the size and shape of a walnut, located just below the bladder in males. The prostate gland's main function is to produce semen, the fluid that helps nourish and transport sperm. An inflamed prostate can cause a variety of symptoms, including a frequent and urgent need to urinate and pain or burning when urinating - often accompanied by pelvic, groin or low Back pain. The symptoms include: penile, pelvic or rectal pain, often felt deep between the legs, which is worse on sitting; frequency or discomfort on passing urine; pain on or after ejaculation; quick (premature ejaculation), delayed (retarded ejaculation) or unsatisfactory ejaculation; rarely, blood in semen (haemospermia), more likely if infection present.

P Bhandari, MBBS, M.Med.