Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: I have a bump in front of my right ear

ikline - Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:00 pm

this past week i have gotten a bump in front of my ear. Its round, and when i feel it its hard. my friend who has been in nursing school a long time says its wax or something and to put acohal on the area and clean it but i have and im trying to figure what to do next because its there still. then another friend of mine said maybe its stress or something. im a student and in my 20s so i don't know if it is or not. now i'm getting head aches...i'm not sure if that has to do with the weather?it's been snowing.helllpppp!
thank you so much in advance.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:25 pm

User avatar Hi ikline,
A firm bump in front of your right ear......located above where the earlobe is along the cheekline/jawline for example? If this is the location, have you had any other symptoms, recent infection etc. lately? There are lymph nodes in this area and you may want to get evaluated by your family physician.
 ikline - Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:21 pm

its right near the lobe and i have been having headaches but only once i just had earing on my ear. Being silly I wore this nice earings it infected my ear ring hole. I had silver loops and i'm alergic to certain jewelry. do you think it had to do with that?
 ikline - Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:11 pm

hi and thanks for respnding
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:58 am

User avatar Hi ikline,
Don't wear that particular set of jewelry. Clean your earlobe well until the infection subsides. Yes, the two could be related. If it is an enlarged lymph node it should begin decreasing in size. If however, it would continue to enlarge, make sure you have it evaluated by your family physician. :) I hope this helps.
 taioko - Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:09 pm

Sorry if this isn't exactly on the same topic. It's the closest I could find. Okay yesterday I noticed a slight lump about 2 1/2 inches away from my earlobe. I guess kinda like on my jaw, i don't know. My ear hurts and so does this lump when I apply pressure. It hurts to swallow,etc. I don't have medical insurance and am extremely broke so unless I absolutely have to go somewhere I can't.:( Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:45 pm

User avatar Hi taioko,
Most hospitals and clinics have programs available to receive health care for reduced costs or free usually based on income for people whom are uninsured. I will insert a link at the end of this post for you to contact. If this particular program can not offer assistance then they should be able to direct you to someone who can. Now, for the "lump", please confirm the nature of your finding by direct clinical examination by your physician. It is probably a lymph node as it occurs in a lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician. The submandibular lymph nodes are located along the underside of the jaw on either side. They drain the tongue, submaxillary gland, lips and mouth, conjunctivae. Common causes of enlargement include infections of head, neck, sinuses, ears, eyes, scalp, pharynx. If this enlargement is indeed due to an enlarged lymph node you may possibly have an underlying infection which of course may require treatment with an antibiotic. Regardless of whether the cause of enlargement is due to an infection or another cause you should have an evaluation by your physician.
Click here!
 lalalala19 - Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:19 pm

hi i notcied a week ago a lump in front of my left ear of course im 19 and freak out and tell my mom i think i have cancer... she felt it and said it might me a sist... my sister is in nursing school and said it might be a sist also... and said she never heard of canccer there.... i dnt have insurence to see a doctor right now it only hurts when i push it a lil sore now and then but i keep touching it... my brother said it could be a lymph node swollen but i want to kno what u think it hasnt gotten bigger and it is kinda hard but not like a rock and hurts sometime....
 xxheyyahh!xx - Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi, i have a lump near my ear, it doesn't hurt when i do anything to it, it's not that hard, i don't know what it is do you?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:45 am

User avatar Hi xxheyyahh!xx,
There are a couple of conditions which come to my mind on reading your post.

- a pre-auricular cyst arising from a pre-existing pre-auricular sinus (a small congenital pit which sometimes goes unnoticed and at times is bilateral). if it gets infected, it leads to a pre-auricular abscess.

- a parotid lymph node (found in the substance of the parotid gland).
There are other differential diagnoses as well - but one has to clinically examine before arriving at a diagnosis. So, i suggest that you should consult your GP first.
Good luck
 hanson574 - Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:10 am

Hi there I need help with something...I woke up the other day with a small hard lump just infront of my left ear, i didnt think anything of it until I woke up the next morning and there was a pain where the lump was and had started to swell... so i went to the doctors.. and he said it might be a cyst,and sitting here now, I cant sleep, its 2 in the morning, and the lump has grown in some size, it also seems to be spreading down onto my neck, its very painful and feels very tight.

any advice or information would be helpful

Thanx
Martin Hanson
 MissSmith - Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am

Hi, i also have a lump directly infront of my left ear lobe i think it might be that enlarged lymph node because it sounds very similar. Whe i put pressure on it it aches and if i lightly touch it and move my jaw arond it feels uncomfortable i thought it might be my sinuses because i have a cold so i was wondering if it was my lymph nodes and how long it would take to go away and if it does need antibiotics.Thanks :)
 nicolexlynn - Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 pm

I also seem to be having a similar problem. Yesterday I noticed a small pea size lump right in front of the tragus of my right ear. It is not on the surface of the skin, I can only feel it when I press on it. It is completely painless and seems to disappear when I open my mouth. Also, I can feel a pulse when I press on it. I can feel a pulse when I press on the exact spot on the other side of my face, but its more faint and there is no lump there. I have absolutely no idea what it is, and its really worrying me. I'm going to the dermatologist for a routine check up on saturday, but I'm not sure whether or not its something I should get checked out immediately.

|