Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: fluid pockets after abdominal surgery

rcash001 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 pm

I have had 6 surgeries in the last 5 months and I need some help. The original surgery was an incisional hernia repair done in Sept of 06. In July of 08 I had to have another surgery for what was believed to be another hernia. He said when he got in there that part of the original mesh was bad and replaced it with a graph. I then had 4 more surgeries to drain large pockets of fluid, blood and blood clots. This last surgery he took out all of the mesh and tried to repair the hernia with some sutures. I have since developed another large pocket of fluid in my lower abdomen. He is talking about having to have another surgery. I have found out that the original mesh had been recalled in Dec of 05 and Jan of 06. What could be causing all this mess in my belly? Could the original mesh be still causing this problem? I am at a loss and really don't want to go through many more surgeries. Please help me and let me know if there is anything you can think of to help me. I am continually in alot of pain and my lower belly keeps swelling no matter what I do. The surgeon seem to thinnk my body is rejecting even the sutures he put in for the hernia. Is this possible? I would just like a second opinion and thank you for your time.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:47 am

I can sense your desperation after those multiple surgeries that you had to go through.I hope that the offending mesh had been completely removed.A laparoscopic repair of the recurrent incisional hernia is perhaps the best option left, but multiple past abdominal surgeries may contraindicate laparoscopic approach.Yet, you should try to get in touch with a very experienced laparoscopic surgeon with experience in cases such as yours.

|