Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Penis Rash or Infection

Sportsman - Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:44 am

Hi. I am a 29 year old male and I just started having a problem with my non-circumsized penis. At first It started itching, then I noticed that the inside of the foreskin looked dry and flaky. After, the foreskin started to get swollen. Now its hard for me to expose my penis from my foreskin due to it being swollen and I keep on feeling something coming out rather than urine. I have checked it out and its clear and sticky. Recently I started to drink alot of water and since then I have been using the restroom more than usual. Also, this really started when my girlfriend and I last had intercourse. We were on the road and I did not get a chance to wash after intercourse until the next day and a half. She has been my only partner since a year weve been together and I am sure I have been hers and we do not have any STD's.
What could it be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:56 am

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis. The most common complication of balanitis is phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

Balanoposthitis may have any of multiple bacterial and fungal origins. Complex infections also have been well documented. These often are due to a poorly retractile foreskin and poor hygiene that leads to colonization and overgrowth.

Anaerobic organisms have been associated with the diagnosis, although in most cases, the patient is treated empirically and a specific organismal etiology is not obtained. Candidal infection appears to be the most common cause of disease. The condition in older adult men often has other etiologies, including intertrigo; irritant dermatitides; and candidal, viral, or fungal infections.

Treatment centers on antibiotics / antifungal treatment, improved hygiene and treatment of eczema if present.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

|