News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI with no symptoms?

concernedpatient30 - Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:30 pm

Hi,
Recently I had a very mysterious, disturbing illness which was determined to be a mystery virus (no cough or congestion but I had severe body aches and headaches, sore throat, intermittent fever, swollen lymph nodes, extreme fatigue, weight gain, chest pain --which was determined to be costrochondritis) after many, many tests because nothing else was found.
All of these tests came back low-normal and included multiple bloodwork tests, xrays, ekg and echo-cardigram with stress test.
(The virus symptoms hung around while subsiding for several months and are almost gone now except some chest wall tenderness..)

Anyhow, the only test that showed something was the urine test. It showed I had a killer UTI but was having no symptoms. The UTI resolved itself after 2 rounds of antibotics but should I be concerned that I had no symptoms at all of a UTI? (no urgency, pain, burning - nothing)
Also could the UTI have been caused by or not shown symptoms because of my virus?
One more question, is it possible that a back injury where I fractured two lower vertebrae several years ago would have damaged nerves I did just didnt know about it?
(it took months for me to walk right again and I never fully returned to competetive sports but am fully functional, just a little more fragile now)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:36 pm

User avatar Hello,

The symptoms you have described can be shared by different types of viruses like EBV, CMV, rarely adenovirus.

I do not know what kind of tests have been done to find out the specific case.

It is rare for urinary tract infection to be causes by a virus but it occurs. Your doctor have treated you with antibiotics which means you have been diagnosed by either the urine analysis and or culture to have bacterial form of infection.

Asymptomatic bladder bacterial infection is known as asymptomatic pyuria and may occur in diabetic patients, children, and neurological diseases including spinal cord injury.

If you mean the lower sacral vertebral were injured. The clinical picture would include perineal sensory loss due to to the S2–S4 roots damage as well as loss of voluntary control of both anal and urethral sphincter, and sexual responsiveness.

Thus a neurological cause is very remote.
Some patients with urinary tract infection has symptoms only for the 24 hours and are mild due to either urine dilution or frequent voiding.

Hope this information is useful.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here