Question: Small pea sized lump on the right side of my scrotum

kindaWorried - Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:46 am

I am a 17 year old male. A few months ago I found a small pea sized lump on the right side of my scrotum. I went to see a doctor about it and it was diagnosed as an epididimal cyst. I had and ultrasound to verify make sure the doctor was right (which he was), but they found what they thought was a varicocele on the left side. I went to a urolologist about a week ago to check that out but he found nothing and said i have nothing to worry about. However, over the past few days, my left testicle has been aching. I found a lump on the bottom of the testicle that feels like it is a vein and it enlarges when I bear down. Should I wait for a while to see if it goes away or should I go back to the doctor for a second examination.

I also have another problem wich isn't really related to the above. I found a lump right next to the base of the scrotum on the left side ( not actually in the scrotum) that is also the size of a pea. This is what I'm most worried about because I just noticed it today and it dosn't feel anything like the cyst I mentioned before. If anybody could tell me what this might be I would be extremely thankfull as I will not be able to visit a doctor for the next few days because I am traveling out of state to visit family.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:33 pm

User avatar Regarding the varicoceole, this is basically a collection of veins that enlarge within the scrotum. It generally is an innocent finding. Occasionally it is associated with infertility. If this is an issue, it can be repaired.

Generally they are not painful. They are often more prominent upon standing.

If you are experiencing pain, I recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor. If the pain is severe you should go to the emergency room do to the possibility of testicular torsion.

Regarding your lump, I'm a little uncertain as to the location of this lump but in general, there are a few possibilities. It may be a lymph node in the area that has become a little larger in response to an infection. If the lump is actually on the scrotum it should be evaluated due to the possibility of testicular cancer (unlikely but possible). Also less likely, it may be a lipoma (a small, benign fat cell tumor).

Follow up with your doctor is important, but as long as you are not having significant pain (anything more than a minor discomfort) you can wait to be evaluated until you get back.

Hope this helps.

|