Question: Penis Shaft Discolored, please advise...

marc22 - Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:22 pm

I am 48 years old, take no medication and have no history of problems like or related to the one I am about to describe. Underneath the skin on the shaft of my penis has turned dark purple, almost black over about 65% of the area, and the skin is slightly puffed up in some areas in the lower portion where the discoloration appear to have pooled a little. This has not caused me any pain or discomfort, nor does it hurt when I urinate. The discoloration is only in the shaft and has not spread to the head area (meatus?). I did not suffer any major trauma, but I seem to recall a minor irritation two nights ago when my wife and I had a little bit more rigorous sex than usual. This discoloration, however, did not occur until almost one and a half days later. I'm assuming this is a result of a busted blood vessel, but I would appreciate your medical opinion and suggestion and prognosis on how long this will take to disappear. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:22 pm

User avatar From your description my best estimation is that you have some bruising resulting in the discoloration you are experiencing. If this is a relatively recent thing blood is about the only thing that would produce such a color.

There are some other things, such as inflammation that can produce discoloration; however, they tend to be slow, long-term processes.

If it is bruising I would expect it to begin to clear in 3-4 days. It may also turn a yellowish green color similar to a typical bruise.

If the area does not begin to improve I would recommend you be evaluated by your doctor.

marc22 - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 am

Thank you for your reply. The more I have thought about this, I believe this discoloration/bruising/blood must be a result of the discomfort I experienced while having sexual intercourse with my wife three nights ago. One of us moved in a certain way at the wrong time and my penis "bent" in a direction that caused a mild discomfort (at the time) just inside my pubic bone area. I'm assuming this is where the bruising/bleeding initially occurred, and then the bruised blood moved down the shaft of my penis over the next two days due to gravity. Does that sound probable in your estimation?

Thanks again, and I will consult with my doctor if for some reason the appearance doesnt improve over the next several days.

|