Question: Diabetes damage to penis recoverable?

Benster - Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:38 pm

1. 39 2. M 3. ~13 years uncontrolled diabetes hovering around 400 mg/dL. 4. no surgeries 5. no family history 6. Metformin.

Diagnosed w/ Type 2 diabetes approx. 13 yrs. ago with relatively poor control hovering around 400 mg/dL. Slight numbness at bottom of feet, hand and eye blurring and lastly, ED.

I no longer can get the kind of erection I used to. I first realized I had erectile function when about a year ago, I was not able to get an erection to close the deal with a girl; dog gone it! Anyway, at that time, the penis looked normal, flacid but just maybe 1/4 the length of a full erection; no distortion, etc. Just looked like less inflated. About 6 months ago, I started to see what look like possible damage to the mechanism of my penis; it started with the right side. When I attempted to arouse myself, was it not only difficult to get it inflated, but the right side of the penis looked "cutoff" and the penis with some inflation, was bent towards the right. It physically looked like the right side's inflation apparatus had been blocked. Then about, a couple weeks later, the same thing happened to the left side. Now, all I can do is create a less than quarter the size of when it was fully functional and the shaft area just below the "head" looks roped off. From having skimed the web, it seems that the "spongy" material that is on the left and right side of the shaft and that gets filled with blood when aroused possibly is the culprit. That's my diagnosis. Do you think this is right? And if so, are there medications or like that I can take to recover the damage caused to the inflatable "bladders"? The 3 drugs touted to help ED I think does not help diabetics because the problem is not with blood flow but damage to the "spongy" material that makes the penis errect. I remember I tried using Cialis? and it didn't do anything except make me feel some what uptight within my body. If I were to get my diabetes under control, is it possible that the penis can naturally recover or am I condemned to live a celibate life? Also, possibly due to not being able to get an erection, it is almost impossible for me to ejaculate; is that a problem for me to produce children in the future. For the sperm to be healthly, does one have to regulary ejaculate and create new sperm, etc.? Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 pm

User avatar Hi Benster,

Diabetes can damage the nerves to the penis leading to erectile dysfunction. Unfortunately, nerve damage from diabetes tends to be permanent. It is very important to get your diabetes under control if it isn't. This will minimize further damage.

I would recommend you see a urologist for an evaluation. Even with diabetic damage there are likely some treatments that may help you. The urologist will be much more up-to-date regarding this than I am.

|