Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: help with ongoing urinary tract infection/kidney infection

lowilker - Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:05 pm

hi. I am a female, 33 years old. I got a uti a few weeks ago that doesn't get better. It started in October around the 29th and i'm still taking antibiodics for it. I was put on bactrim then switched to cipro. twice, i have been given the wrong medicine. I am also taking Loratab when i need it. I had the symptoms of uti (frequent urination and feeling like i had to go all of the time) . It started to get better, but then i was right back where i started. I began to have very bad pain in my back also. I still have the pain, but it comes and goes in it's intensity. What do you think i have. I've been to urgent care twice and they tell me nothing. Is it a kidney stone? Should i see a urologist? It's kind of scary as my older sister had a kidney malfunction that led to paralysis.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:13 pm

User avatar Hi Lowilker,

There are a few possibilities here. First, you may have a bacteria that is resistant to the antibiotics you are on. This is relatively unlikely given that both bactrim and cipro are broad spectrum and tend to cover the UTI bacteria well. Still, occasionally, resistance can occur. This can be determined by doing a urine culture to grow the bacteria and test its antibiotic sensitivities.

Another possibility is that your infection is not actually from a bacteria. Viruses can cause urinary tract infections as well. These do not respond to antibiotics and will clear on their own after around a week or so.

Kidney stones certainly are a possibility. They are well known to cause tremendous pain and can cause UTI-like symptoms as well. If there is suspicion of this (particularly if there is blood in the urine) a CT scan can be done.

Another thought is that if UTI/kidney infection symptoms continue despite appropriate antibiotic therapy occasionally it is because there is an abscess around the kidney or bladder that the antibiotics can't get into to help clear the infection.

Follow up with your doctor is important to help determine which, if any, of these is going on.

lowilker - Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:59 pm

I'm the 33 year old with the uti. I was having pain in my low back, but now that has subsided. I still hurt when i urinate. I took an azo test yesterday and it shows i still have bacteria/uti. This has been happening for almost 4 weeks. I've been to the doctor 4 times and they see nothing and just give me medicine. What is this and why isn't it responding to the antibiodics? I have taken a round of bactrim and cipro. Should i go back to the doctor?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:05 pm

User avatar I would suggest following up with your doctor to see what the antibiotic sensitivities are to the bacteria causing your infection. If the bacteria sensitive but not being cleared it may indicate another problem such as an abscess that the antibiotics cannot get into.

If the bacteria is sensitive to the antibiotics you have been on you may want to see a urologist for further evaluation.

Sassybabe - Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:31 am

I am 21 years old and have been having water infections since i was 15 but my doctor has not been able to figure out why or how to stop them so i was referred to a gynecoogist when i was 18 which is when i had a camera but up into my bladder to see what is going on but all they said is i have an inflamed bladder and gave me antibiotics for it but they never seem to work! I have tried so many antibiotics and not one of them work. I am getting very frustrated now as it is affecting my work, sex life and my daughter as im always in too much pain to do anything. Recently i have also been getting very bad back pain too which is quite concerning. Please help!
 Asher - Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi, im an 19 year old female and ive had reoccuring UTI symtoms for over 4 months now. I sometimes pee blood and pus and it burns like razor blades. Both me and my boyfriend have been tested for STDs ive had many tests for UTI where all the cultures come back negative, an ultra sound of bladder and kidneys, and ive even had a cystoscopy but eveything has been comming back normal. Ive taken all kinds of antibiotics and nothing has been working. It comes and goes during the week. Dispite all my tests comming back notmal im still peeing blood and pus. Please help :(

|