News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Split urine stream ALL the time.

mattpd - Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:57 pm

Hello I am a 22 year old male.

When I urinate, 99% of the time the stream will split. Sometimes it is the main stream accompanied by a drip, most of the time it is split into two streams, and sometimes it gets real bad and sprays the whole toilet. It seems to be worse when the pressure is not that strong, so if i have to go REAL bad it is usually a single stream until the end when the urine pressure begins to subside. I have had this problem for years now. Sometimes my urethra "itches" deep inside and occasionally I notice a slight discharge dried up at the tip, but it could just be normal fluids. If I did contract an STD it would have been over three years ago, and although I remember slight burning while urinating for a while after that sexual encounter, it did not persist. Sometimes it does sting now, usually in the morning, but nothing too bad.

Could I have some kind of infection that would cause these symptoms for years without either progressing or dieing off? Could it be prostate issues at 22? Or possibly scarring inside my urethra from over self stimulation using harsh lubricants in my younger days? I do remember once having a raw spot which turned into a scab on the very tip of the urethra after using inappropriate lubrication probably contained alcohol among other things. But as far as I can tell there is no damage inside, atleast as far down as I can see.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:04 pm

User avatar Hi Mattp,

A split urine stream would usually indicate some form of an obstruction near the end of the urethra. Problems further up, such as near the prostate, would not be expected to cause such a splitting. Basically, you can think of this as a garden hose. An obstruction in the middle of the hose doesn't cause a split stream because the water has the remainder of the hose to reform into one stream but putting your finger on the end can split the stream.

I would suggest you see a urologist. This way you can have a full evaluation of your symptoms. It may be that they need to use a tiny camera to actually look at the urethra and see if there are any obstruction or adhesions that are dividing the urethra into two channels.

An STD is a possibility but this would not be typical for them. However, STD's can remain asymptomatic for years, especially in men, so I would suggest you be tested for STD's if there is any chance you may have one.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here