Question: Blood in Urine Sample?

pita3 - Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:48 am

Good morning,

I just got back from the doctors office and he told me that I have blood in my urine sample again. I had this 3 years ago and they did a ultrasound and all was okay and I had follow up tests and all was good until yesterday when it reappeared.

Now my question is this, is it possible that my Fibroid polyp that I know I have is causing this trace of blood to be showing up. I do suffer from spotting from time to time.

I did try to catch a clean sample by washing first but still perhaps this blood is still getting into the stream.

Thank you for taking the time to read this question.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:50 pm

User avatar Hello Pita3,

There are several reasons for blood to appear in the urine. If there is some vaginal bleeding for any reason that is not sufficiently cleaned it can lead to detectable blood in the urine. An infection of the kidneys or bladder (either viral or bacterial) can also cause this. Kidney stones can do this also.

There are really a countless number of things that can cause hematuria (blood in the urine). The best thing to do is retest the urine again in a day or two. If it continues with blood it may be appropriate to do some further testing. If it resolves it is likely nothing to worry about.

|