News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Blood in Urine Sample?

pita3 - Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:48 am

Good morning,

I just got back from the doctors office and he told me that I have blood in my urine sample again. I had this 3 years ago and they did a ultrasound and all was okay and I had follow up tests and all was good until yesterday when it reappeared.

Now my question is this, is it possible that my Fibroid polyp that I know I have is causing this trace of blood to be showing up. I do suffer from spotting from time to time.

I did try to catch a clean sample by washing first but still perhaps this blood is still getting into the stream.

Thank you for taking the time to read this question.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:50 pm

User avatar Hello Pita3,

There are several reasons for blood to appear in the urine. If there is some vaginal bleeding for any reason that is not sufficiently cleaned it can lead to detectable blood in the urine. An infection of the kidneys or bladder (either viral or bacterial) can also cause this. Kidney stones can do this also.

There are really a countless number of things that can cause hematuria (blood in the urine). The best thing to do is retest the urine again in a day or two. If it continues with blood it may be appropriate to do some further testing. If it resolves it is likely nothing to worry about.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here