Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: (Another) UTI? Also acidic or alkaline?

theartist - Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:45 am

Hi, I have been sexually active (nearly daily) with my boyfriend (whom I'm living with) for the last eight months. In those eight months, I've had two UTIs, both painful and with a small amount of blood. Antibiotics seemed to clear them up, though I am wondering if I'm getting another now, despite doing all the good things one should do to prevent them.

I have only the symptom of cloudy urine, sometimes there is some light debris; there is no pain, no frequent urination, etc. If this is another UTI--so my third one--is it reasonable to ask my doctor to put me on a prophylactic antibiotic regimen? What are the risks/problems I might have if I do that?

Along the line of preventing UTIs, is it better to have acidic urine or alkaline urine? Some things I have read say one thing, and others say something entirely different. I know cranberry juice is very acidic, but it's a certain type of acid from what I understand. Considering I seem prone to UTIs, I would rather eat foods of a more acidic or alkaline nature to promote a healthy bladder.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I really don't want anymore problems.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:31 pm

If you have frequent UTIs it is reasonable for your doctor to prescribe a maintenance low-dose antibiotic. As for problems, no medication is without side effects and they usually prescribe those that are safest and with the least risk of causing bacteria resistance. They are usually more specific to the bacteria most commonly associated with urinary tract infections. However, only your doctor can know if you are a candidate for this type of preventive therapy.

Other measures can be taken as well to help reduce your risk.

1 - Empty your bladder before and immediately after sex to help wash away bacteria naturally.
2 - An acidic environment is generally recommended to make the pH less hospitable to the bacteria. Some people take cranberry pills. Drinking cranberry juice is debatable since it would take quite a lot to actually change the urine pH, but it can't hurt. Drinking lots of fluids generally also helps so at least increase your intake of water.
3 - Don't ever wipe from back to front - introducing fecal bacteria to the urethra.
4 - Never try to hold your urine - empty every time you feel the urge.
5 - Avoid feminine hygiene products - sprays, perfumes, douches.

|