Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Brown discharge with UTI

bbzgal - Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:49 pm

yesterday it was confirmed i have a UTI and bad constapation. i am now getting brown discharge from my vagina. i am really worried as i don't know what it is. i am sexually active. i had my last period about 10 days ago. Could the discharde be conected to the UTI?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Brown discharge can be due to many causes but are commonly seen in cases of infections and erosions in the cervix.

Being diagnosed with UTI makes vaginal infection the most likely cause for this brown vaginal discharge but exclusion of other causes is essential. Infection usually occurs as the organisms ascend into the vagina and is usally in the form of vulvovaginitis, so patients complain of itching in the vulva and dischrge.

Local measure and proper hygien is essential to avoid and to improve the condition.

Some females have this discharge during ovulation. This is physiological and of no concern.

Other causes like irregular vaginal bleeding due to hormonal imbalance or local problems like cervical erosion should be excluded.

I would advise you to be examined by a gynaecologist. Treatment depends on the cause and the causative organism in case of infection (bacterial, fungal, or less likely viral)

Please keep us updated.

|