Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Dosage for Amoxicillin in treating UTI

utihelpme - Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:07 pm

I have a UTI that I just started feeling symptoms on this morning. I don't have health insurance right now, and really cannot afford to go to the clinic.

I have a prescription for amoxicillin that my dentist gave me. (I told her I had had an abnormal EKG, so she gave me them as a precaution. However I've been to the doctor since then and my heart is fine.)

I've been doing some reading and I know that amoxicillin can be used to treat a UTI, though it's not preferable. I'm wondering if it would be less effective for me since I've taken it in a 2 gram dose maybe twice over the past year before my dentist appointments.

I read a study that said a 3gram dose cured about 80% of participants with UTI.

Can I use this amoxicillin to get rid of my UTI? I'd hate to take it and have it not work, and end up having to go to the clinic anyway.

If so, should I take one big dose of it or spread it out over a few days? I have 500mg pills.

I'd be so grateful for any help. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:35 pm

Overuse of antibiotics can make you resistant to them but having taken this only a few times would not likely cause a problem of this nature.

The trouble with self-treatment is that you don't know if you have the right antibiotic for the specific organism that is present. This is why they do culture and sensitivity testing along with urinalysis. But often it is treated without the complete workup since there are some common UTI causing bacteria and the doctors can usually treat it with one of the medications that commonly work. As you said, amoxicillin isn't one of these that would be chosen first. For this reason you could take it only to find it did not do the trick so there is a risk involved.

If you decide to take it the dosage of 500 mg. three times a day would be appropriate according to the labeling for this drug but you should complete a course to be sure you have killed the bacteria; not merely weakened it. Typically that means about 10 days. Do you have that many pills? If not, you definitely would be best to see a doctor for this.

And it's usually a good idea for a follow up test to be sure the bacteria is gone a week or so after you complete treatment. Meanwhile be sure to drink lots of water to help flush this out of your system.

|