Question: Swelling in penis following sex or masturbation

e43232 - Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am

I am really concerned. Thank you for your time. Over the last month my penis started swelling (like ballooning out) just under the head after sex or masturbation. I am 27 years old and married. No STDs (been tested) and have only been with my wife. The swelling usually goes down by the next day, but the first look of the swelling after sex really freaks me out. It's not hard, but a soft swelling, just below the head on the shaft. There is no pain associated at all. I know the penis tends to swell after an erection, but this is not by any means the usual swelling after an erection. If sort of looks like a balloon on the side of my penis. It only happens after sex or masturbation and usually doesn't stay that way, but what causes the swelling?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:14 pm

This sounds like dermatitis. Dermatitis can result from infections, allergies, and irritants.

It is very important that STDs have been ruled out.

Dermatitis may also occur due to contact with an allergen or irritant like soap, creams, synthetic cloth, or after vigorous sexual intercourse or masturbation. The skin in this part is very delicate and can be easily inflamed and this is likely to be the reason of your symptoms.

Sometimes when your partner has vaginal candidiasis, allergy and inflammation occur after penile exposure to the candida lesions during sexual intercourse.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor for exclusion of other skin diseases like fungal infection.

Please keep us updated.

|