News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: is a dark purple discoloration on penile glans normal?

karoom - Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:18 pm

I've visited 2 doctors already both of them telling me I'm fine. My head is blue-ish purple, and its been like this for over a couple years now. Theres no pain at all, feels normal. I'm just wondering if I'm supposed to look this way.

Iv attached some images in a link so you can get a more general idea of my situation:
http://img79.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0022k.jpg

Thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:44 am

User avatar Hello,Had a look at the pictures and it seems absolutely normal.Blood vessels which show bulging could look like this.Fixed drug eruptions form coin shaped areas of bluish black pigment on the penis.Raised purple patches could be seen in kaposi tumor,in your case it is flush with the skin and nothing to do with the above.Hyperpigmentation after some skin infections do leave behind pigment known as post inflamatory pigmentation.Lichen planus again could cause pigmentation but they are typical violaceous papules.You have none of these except a possible blood vessel appearance.Best wishes.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:03 am

User avatar Hi,
I think it is perfectly normal (just as Dr.Jagesh kamath has opined).
The colour of the glans penis may vary from pink to pale blue or purple.This is due to the blood vessels(capillaries) under the very thin skin that covers it. Colour may vary with the degree of erection, ambient temperature and whether the person is circumcised or not.
Whitish colour may be abnormal(balanitis xerotica obliterans - a condition that may cause stricture of the external meatus).Cheers!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here