Question: BPH - time of day to take alpha blockers (rapaflo or flomax)

bigredog8 - Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:52 pm

What is the best time of day to take alpha blockers for BPH? I am currently taking rapaflo at night, to minimize any side effects during the day, but I think it might be most effective during the first half a day because of its half life, meaning I might not be getting the full effect of the medicine. Should I take it in the morning? I would imagine that flomax is similar.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:59 am

All of the α-blockers evaluated have demonstrated comparable effectiveness, and in the evolution of α-blocker therapy for BPH the focus was primarily on improving convenience and tolerability. Although almost all of the long-acting α1-blockers are well tolerated, only tamsulosin and alfuzosin SR are administered without the need for dose titration.

Tamulosin can cause adverse effects that may impair thinking or reactions. Therfore one should be careful iwhile driving or doing anything that requires that one is awake and alert. One may feel dizzy when getting up from a sitting or lying position. One should avoid standing up too quickly to keep from falling. Drinking alcohol can make worsen the dizziness.

Tamulosin is usually taken once a day, approximately 30 minutes after a meal. It is advisable to take this medication at the same time each day(approximately 30 minutes after the same meal).

Recent studies indicate that those taking Flomax every other day have the same level of relief and often fewer side effects.

Some studies have shown that nocturia may not improve much with alpha blockers.

Therefore, if your concern is the side effects, it may be OK to take the dose at bed time.But, if the concern is symptom relief (especially nocturia), it may not be of much help.

|