doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Urology

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Question: Bubbly or Foaming Urine

rybakgirl - Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:11 pm

For the last 3 weeks or so I have had a lot of bubbles in my urine, sometimes it is worse than others and there is times I go and there is no bubbles. It appears foamy almost. Is this something that I should be concerned about and maybe see a doctor? It has never been like this before.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:18 am

Foam formation in urine could be a manifestation of excess proteins in urine especially albumen.

The most general definition of foam is a substance that is formed by trapping many gas bubbles in a liquid. Excess protein can cause the urine to foam in water. This occurs because protein changes the surface tension between urine and water in much the same way that a detergent decreases water surface tension. Protein, as well as detergent, in this case is what physicists call a surface active substance.

Normally proteins are not found in urine (less than150 mg per day) and their presence could be due to many factors which could be a manifestation of a kidney disease. Albumin makes up about 30mg per day. Hence, total protein above 150 mg or albumin above 30 mg per day are abnormal. Total protein above 300 mg per day is known as clinical proteinuria and is usually accompanied by various other clinical manifestations such as generalized edema.

Before we jump to any conclusions you should have a dipstick test for urinary protein or a simple urine analysis. For a more precise measurement, you may need to collect urine for 24 hours (microalbumin study - positive between 30 - 300 mg albumin per day).

It may also be something as simple as a forceful flow of urine that could make a foamy type of appearance due to excess trapping of air in urine as it contacts water.

Dr. Tamer Fouad.

send to a friend

Are you a physician or a nurse?

Would you like to join us and help patients online by volunteering even a few minutes of your time?

Get started here by becoming a member of The Doctors Lounge.

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.