Question: Lower right back pain

darkphoenix - Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:13 pm

(I’m a 30 year old, female)I started to have problems in December, I had a UTI. I was treated for this, but I got another one in March. I then started to get pain at the low right back side, I went to my doctor. She did x-rays and found nothing wrong on the x-ray but she found little bacteria in my urine so she sends me to an urologist. He asks tons of questions then he tells me that I have a bladder condition or a gynecologic issues. He wrote a prescription for this bladder condition and then sends me to an Obgyn office. My gynecologist did the examination and found nothing wrong with me. I end up at the ER over the weekend because the pain became worst. They found I had Kidney stone, and a gallbladder stone. (I have a history of Kidney stone) I called my doctor and he wanted me to get an IVP done, this was done almost a week after going to the ER. He advised the stone is not there, and my pain had gone away. I was pain free for about a month.

About three weeks ago, I started to have this pain again on the right and left side low back. I called my primary; she did an x-ray but found nothing. She then did a CAT scan and found two stones. She refer me to my urologist, he saw my CAT scan. He advised the stone on the right does not look like it’s in the collective system, but the stone on the left is small and should not cause pain. He believes that I have a problem in the gynecological area, I saw my gynecologist and he sees nothing wrong. I just had a laparoscopy to make sure my ovary's are ok which they are. I still have the pain, now my primary doctor wants to send me to pain management. I'm not happy with this answer, I know my body, I knew it was not my gynecologic area. I believe it’s with my kidney, at this moment I’m recovering from my surgery (laparoscopy) and I can feel the original pain from my lower back right side. I want to see another urologist, but for the moment I’m doing research on what this pain could be. The pain is sharp, throbbing, something burning that radiates to the side; my urine does not burn; I have headaches. If someone can provide information I would greatly appreciate and thank you in advance for your time.

DarkPhoenix
 RoxRob - Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:44 am

Dear Darkphoenix,
I am sorry to say I don't have an answer to your problem but rather I am also looking for the same answer as you. I am a 42 year old female and I had a history of chronic UTI's of which I spent countless hours at Urologists and my OB/GYN. I was actually put on a "Maintenance" program with the drug Diflucan and took it everyday for 6 months to try and keep the infections under control. Everything was fine for a few months and then all it took was another chance encounter and it was all back again. The frustration was I thought I was doing something wrong to my body to cause these, and the number of doctors I saw that ran the same tests you hvae gone thru shaking their heads and telling me nothing was wrong only frustrated me further. The UTI's seem to be under control for the past 3 years however as I type this post to you I am now suffering with a lower right side stabbing back pain which if I run my hand up the right side of my back feels like a bruise, I too believe this has to be connected to my Kidney. This comes and goes just as you said yours does. I have had my Gall Bladder removed 10 years ago after suffering from attacks for almost 6 years only to have it finally discovered by an E.R. doctor that did a UltraSound and found it loaded with gall stones! I am now residing overseas in Southern Spain and the medically care here is not as advanced as I would suspect in the U.S., but if you do find anything out I too would greatly appreciate any information you can pass along. Good Luck!
 rockyrocket - Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:43 pm

I also had frequent infections. I always blambed it on not receiving enough antibotics to get rid of it permently. But this last time was something different. I was feeling extremely tired all the time and had the pain in my lower back. i had recently gotten over another infection. the doctors couldn't find anything wrong so came up with my blood pressure being a little high which I found rediculous. I've found that you have to almost diagnose yourself and have found the internet a great asset. I told them to check my urine and found blood. I told them "lets just rule out the stuff that could kill me. Give me a scan or mri or whatever but I don't want to be half dead and then they decide , oh you have cancer and have about a week to live." I have seen that over and over and over again. You know when there is something seriously wrong so demand the tests. It took a cat scan, which nothing showed up and then a test with dye. The doctor said he almost missed it, but finally saw a small stone between my kidney and blatter that as he explained it, acted like a check valve. Sometime moving up so that the urine could flow out then at other times it would seal shut so none could get out. He removed it with a thing he called a little basket . No surgery but they knocked me out . I haven't had another infection sense. It's been 2 years.
 justmarried30101 - Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:16 am

Hello. My mother had all the symptoms everyone is describing. For 3 years she had lower right back pain consistently. She had nausea, vomiting and lack of sleep due to these symptoms. The doctors told her she was a hyperchondriac (please forgive spelling) and couldn't find anything wrong. Please be persistant and continue to do testing to find out what is wrong. Have them check your liver enzymes and liver function. Have them check your gallbladder and uterus functions too. Turns out, she had cancer that STARTED in her gallbladder which spread to her uterus and finally her liver. Unfortunately, by the time they found the source of the problem and was diagnosed my mother died of liver failure. The time of diagnosis and death was 1 month. My mother died in 1985 at 32 years old. Please be persistant. God Bless.

|