News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: swollen testicle following hernia repair

effacue - Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:47 pm

Hello

I'm a 24 year old male. I had surgery over a year ago to repairan inguinal hernia on my right side. Mesh repair, non-laproscopic, i have a 6 inch scar.

in the days following my surgery, my right testicle swelled to 3 times the size of the other. It remains that way to this day. It is not painful. I know I should have gone to get this condition checked earlier, but I didnt.

The problem is that 3 months ago i left my job which provided health insurance, and they offerred the COBRA extension to me as a former employee. Its very expensive, and I can either pay for the COBRA and not have a lapse in my insurance coverage, or not pay, let my coverage lapse, and risk having a pre-existing condition when i do get new insurance coverage and finally have this condition checked and/or repaired. I wish i could get this checked, find out if this is a serious problem, find out if it is related to the surgery or a separate occurrance, and what my best course of action is. I will be moving out of state in 2-3 months and will likely have health insurance offerred by my employer.

SO...
is the condition normal following an inguinal hernia mesh repair 14 months ago?
could it be something unrellated to the surgery?
would it be a pre-existing condition?
should i sign up for the cobra coverage just to avoid a lapse in my coverage?

please help.
thank you
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:08 pm

I have circulated your post to our medical crew based in the US to advise you on your health insurance options. They would be in a better position to do so. Hopefully also, a surgeon member from The Doctors' Lounge will advise you on your surgical problem.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:25 am

User avatar Managed care insurance offered as group plans through empolyment typically do not have preexisting clauses.
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:45 pm

Some swelling might occur in the region of the pre existing hernia after operation due to a sterile collection immediately after a hernia repair which if not drained might get organised later on. It is unusual for a testicular swelling to occur right after a hernia repair. Is that swelling continuous with your groin?? In any event, you should have consulted your surgeon immediately after that had occured, even now it's not too late.
I suggest you go and visit your surgeon immediately. A testicular swelling needs proper evaluation.
One thing however is quite possible. Many people with inguinal hernias have a coexistent vaginal hydrocele on the same side which is masked by the symptoms of hernia. It is highly possible that your "testicular" swelling is actually a hydrocele which you had not noticed earlier on and which needs just a simple surgery for cure.
In any event visit your surgen immediately.
Regards.....

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here