Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Shortness of breath with sweating

Woodrow40 - Tue May 25, 2004 5:03 pm

I'm 29 years old and weight 385 lbs. I have SVT and High blood pressure. I havent taken my meds in a couple of months because I am between health insurances. Recently I have had a re-surgence of a problem that I used to have sporadiacly. Normally I am resting when I get this feeling like I cant breathe. It starts out very mild then quickly escallates then slowly calms back down. I become very dis-orented and if I happen to be standing, I get weak in my legs. The feeling is like I can't breathe even though I can. After the episode ends, I usually feel very drained and sweat profousley. I spoke to my doctor years ago and I was told it was probably an anxiety attack. I really don't have any reason to have anxiety attacks so I think there is more to it. It is starting to scare me because the episodes are happenning more frequently, sometimes 4 or more times a day. Any advice would be appreciated.
Joe Wilfong
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed May 26, 2004 12:06 am

User avatar Woodrow,
I think the possibilty of panic attacks shouldnt be excluded altogether. Given your heart condition its no wonder you should have panic attacks. However, I must stress that because you have been off medication for some time, the cause of shortness of breath may be your SVT. It would be a good idea to get a check up and exclude that cause before anything else.