Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Aching leg, pain when walking after sitting

 magenta - Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:50 am

Hi there,

I'm a 21 year old female, fairly active, although my job restricts the amount of movement i can do during the day, as i work in a call centre for 8 hours and my boss doesnt like me talking walks around the building.

Over the last 2-3 weeks I have been experiancing leg pain. It is mainly a very deep feeling ache, in the back of my left thigh and calf. It occurs after being sat down for anything longer than around 45mins-1 hour at a time. I stand up, and the ache turns into a sharp pain for a few seconds, until I walk it off. After about 1min of movement it eases.

If i rub the back of my thighs and calves they feel sore/tender under the skin to touch.

This pain seems to be worse at night and affects my sleep. Occasionally i get the pain in my right leg also.

A big thankyou in advance to any input you might have for me. Thankyou.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:33 am

User avatar While this could be just some kind of muscle spasm, possibly related to extended sitting, the main worry is the possibility of a blood clot, which can be life threatening if it dislodges and travels to the lungs.

Many people show no symptoms even when they have a clot but yours do sound suspicious. Because of this, it would be wise to see your doctor to have it evaluated. When you call, tell them your symptoms so you don't have to wait for an appointment. If you can't get in, you may need to go to a hospital emergency room. Better to be safe here.

Call for emergency help (like 911 if you have that) if you begin having chest pain, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, fainting, or any other symptom that concerns you. Do not drive yourself to the hospital in this situation.

If this is not a clot, you may still want to consider the possibility in the future. For this reason I would suggest you talk with your doctor about the restrictions where you work so he/she could write a letter explaining the health needs of walking periodically to avoid such an injury. It would be irresponsible for your employer to jeopardize the health of employees by refusing to allow adequate break time and opportunities to move around and avoid prolonged sitting. We can assume the employer doesn't understand the risk and attempt to educate about this.

Best wishes.
 magenta - Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks alot. I have an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow morning

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us