Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Strange pain in right arm, and other sensations.

Josh2005 - Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi,

I have for the last day or two now had in my right arm under my arm a feeling like an ache when i move it... The ache seems to be running along the artery in my arm, I know it is an artery as when I applied pressure to it the pulse stopped in my right hand :S So I am not syre whether it is narrowed or a blood clot is in there or something :S somehing nastry is going on. The pain is there when I move my arm. It is a very subtle pain nothing major just enough to know it is there. I have had a thyroid check that is not under active or overactive, and I have had various other tests done. I am worried it is a problem with my artery in myright arm :s or something. Also been getting under my collar bone or just under there like nasty pains and like a stich feeling in my left side, about half way down. Also currently got a slow pulse about 66 - 72bpm and also been getting pains around my left shoulder near my back too prob where the artery goes through not sure! I am really concerned over the feeling it iss possible it is muscular but I also worry that me applying pressure to the artery has caused it to become worse perhaps causing bleeding and a clot or something :S it feels farily flexable, also my pulse in my left hand is fairly strong still, I had to push down quite a bit for it to stop so there an't be too much of a narrowing? can there. Have I caused damage to myself? Also I am going to book in for a 24 hour monitoring of my heart rate ECG or EKG tomorrow If I can.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:22 am

User avatar Dear Josh,

If at any time you think you have a blood clot or ischemia in any of your limbs, please, report immediately to the emergency department.

i don't think that it is that easy to cause harm to oneself just by applying pressure to your own artery. Very long shot.

i think you have neck or back problems that are giving you these symptoms, i recommend that you have a neck x-ray to rule this out.

A pulse of 66-72 is actually perfect. The pulse range is from 60-90, it is called slow if below 60 and fast if above 100.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us