Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Difference in blood pressure in each arm?

OUBETA - Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:38 pm

I'm 23 years old and an avid weight lifter. I'm getting ready to start taking a few supplements so I decided to get my Bp checked before I start. I know I will retain a little water, which inturs raises my Bp while on my supplements.

I check it 7 times a day in each arm and average the totals.

Left arm is 145/80. Which is wayyy high considering my diet and cardio I do.
Right arm is 120/65.

Why the difference in each arm. I take it various times a day while sitting down. I know my BP monitor is accurate. Do I have high blood pressure? which arm do you go off of?
Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:47 pm

User avatar Dear Oubeta,
An acceptable inter-arm systolic blood pressure difference is 10mmHg. The difference in your case seems to exceed that.
I would suggest before delving into the causes of this condition to have a doctor examine your blood pressure. Note that you should be rested for 5 minutes before the reading and that you should use an appropriate sized cuff.
If a doctor does indeed conclude the blood pressure difference is high (he may need to confirm this with a doppler), an underlying condition should be sought. Congenital conditions in the differential diagnosis include aortic coarctation and thinning of 1 of the subclavian, axillary, or brachial arteries. Acquired arterial conditions include aortic dissection, atheroma, thrombus, embolus, and extrinsic compression (as might be seen in association with a mass in the upper chest).

In this case you should have a contrast-enhanced CT of the chest to effectively delineate among the possibilities mentioned above. A vascular ultrasound would be helpful as well, but the CT would better show an extrinsic compression.

Best regards.
 OUBETA - Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:59 pm

I also have a kink or murmur in one of my valves. I had it checked out when I ws a kid and they said is 'shouldn't' give me any problems. I had a follow up about 4 years ago.
Could a kink have something to do with this?

Also 6 weeks ago I finished a cycle of testoserone at 500mg per week for 8 weeks. I also took 5000 IU's of HCG after and an anti-estrogen Nolvadex. I had blood work done before and after and all my levels are back to normal. My free test is still a tad low. Would this have anything to do with my high BP? Would it be a bad idea to start another if my liver values and everything are normal?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:23 am

User avatar Yes coarctation of the aorta can lead to a disparity in blood pressure readings. I don't think you should start on a heavy training course until you have been checked out.
 OUBETA - Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:45 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Do know what the cuff size of the Docs BP taker? My arms are 20 inches and most are about 15 I think. I had to order a special cuff to check mine.
One other thing. When it pumps up to take my BP on my left arm it has to pressure way up to 240mmHg to get a reading. On the right it only has to pressure up to 160mmHg. DOn't know if this would tell you anything.
 OUBETA - Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:53 am

I had it checked this morning. There was the same difference between arms. He wants me to come back 2 more times for readings. I told him I take it 7 times I day and I know what the readings are. He told me they had to take them. I think I do a better job than hi PA. Anyway I asked him about the difference in each arm and his answer was,,,well your muscle might be bigger in your left arm. Time for a new doc?

He wants to put me on BP meds if it is high on the next 2 visits. Shold I go to a cardio doc to see exactly there is that BIG of difference in arms?
thanks again
 OUBETA - Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:59 pm

Aortic Coarctation from my research seems to be the culprit. I need to review my medical records, but I know I have a kink in one of my valves. I don't know which one.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:33 am

User avatar No I don't think you should take anti hypertensives before looking for a cause. Yes you may need to consult with another doc. A cardiologist would be best. His claim that one arm is bigger than the other might not be entirely false I am just not in a position to judge on that.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us