Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Pain in ribs/chest behind breast, underarm and back

 nutmegcrisp - Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 am

Hi, I'm a 35 year old female and for the past 1.5 to 2 weeks I have had this pain that seems to be located in my ribs or lungs behind my right breast and it goes around the side, under my right armpit to the back of ribs. It doesn't hurt constantly, like if I lift my arm or anything like that. It hurts a LOT when I take a really deep breath, cough, laugh, sneeze, yawn or try to blow my nose. To me, it doesn't seem to be pain in my muscle, because I can lift stuff and it really doesn't hurt. There are no lumps or swelling visible on the outside. It doesn't hurt to press on the area, either. I am pretty much healthy and live a normal, healthy lifestyle. I recently had a bad case of the flu that lasted about 3-5 days. Could this be related? Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:11 pm

User avatar It is likely that you have a condition known as pleurisy. This is inflammation of the lining of the lungs/chest wall. Deep breathing causes the lining to be rubbed and worsens pain.

It commonly will follow a viral infection.

Treatment is essentially anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen.

If your pain does not improve in the next few days you should be evaluated.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 am

i have this sort of problem and i cant breath when it happens and really hurts
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 09, 2007 2:00 pm

User avatar I do hope you are seeing a doctor about the pain and breathing difficulties to be sure you have the correct diagnosis and/or treatment. Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us