Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Pus and sometimes blood filled bumps on inner thighs

 hiaber - Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:20 pm

Ok. I resort to internet advice as a last resort, and greatly appreciate any help provided.

i'm 25, and i've had these reoccuring bumps that appear on the inside of my thighs, right up in the groin area. they start out as a somewhat tender lump, slightly reddish, about the size of a dime to a nickel. If i let it do its thing, it becomes more tender, makes it hard to walk sometimes, grows, then drains itself - usually contains puss and a bit of blood, or a mix of both, also sometimes a clearish liquid. if i pop them, i get mostly puss, liquid puss with very little or no solid masses. There is no odour to the puss, but i've had this condition for about 3 years and have noticed a slight variation to odor in my groin area. Sometimes if i get one on one leg, i will have one occur directly across from it on the other leg. I've been to 5 diff docs about it, and they all pretty much shrug it off. i've been told it is a type of yeast infection, foliculitus, nothing to worry about, but hey - its affecting my sex life!

Through my own research I think i can say that it is not a sebaceous cyst, because the "drainage" is not as described for one of those, i can't seem to find any pics or descriptions of exactly what it is i see on my legs, some come close, but not close enough. smaller versions of these bumps have been intermitantly appearing on other parts of my body - ie my waist, sorta under my belt line.

appologies for the long description, thanks for the help!
 maiden75 - Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:15 pm

sounds like what I have--try looking up hidradenitis suppurativa
here's a great yahoo group link to join.
 hiaber - Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:04 pm

I've looked at pictures of hidradenitis suppurativa and it most CERTIANLY is not that! this is not a wide big area of redness, just one, maybe 2 bumps, they come, they pop, they go away, they are rarely itchy, but are a tad bit sore to the touch. Spose my search goes on, but thanks for the input
 maiden75 - Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:15 pm

The pics online make it look much worse. Those are worst case scenarios. I only get one at a time, sometimes 2...but I guess you would know best what it is.
 cmplank - Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:09 am

I am a 20 y/o female. I have exactly what you are describing! I have been scavanging the internet to find out what it could be. The bumps seem very systematic. Somtimes they itch really bad and they leave little dark scars. They are on my legs- usually on my thighs on the inside. They also usually have a matching bump on the other leg. Have you found any more info on this? I think if I go to the doc then he will just tell me it's an allergic reaction but I don't think that's what it is!
 boobie09 - Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:58 am

I am having the exact same issue. I have gone to 3 doctors as well and one gave me some Betidine to soak in, one gave me dyoxcicillan and the other one gave me Bactrim and as you can see none have worked. I have no idea what is wrong with me but it kinda messes up my sex life and my self esteem, due to the dark marks they leave and the pus filled bumps. I would really like to know whats wrong with us. This has been going on for far too long. I have had one or two on my breast. One or two on my sides around my waist band. And they HURT!
 slippreyskippy - Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:39 pm

22yr old male with almost exactly the same problem as original poster and some others. the difference however being that i suffer from these "boils" in the pubic area in addition to the upper, inner thighs (between leg and pubic area) these do not appear in pairs on opposite sides as described. i have not been sexually active for approx 3 yrs and only had one sexual partner but have been expieriencing these lumps often for the past few years. would really like some answers :(
 SlimShody - Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:50 pm

Oh thank god it isnt just me. Ok I have had this same exact thing since I was 19 I am 29 now and I am a male. Here is what I think and what has been going on with my life. I am a picker, by this I mean i pop zits and pull ingrown hairs and clean out clogged pores and what not. So naturally I pop those bumps on my hips. Sometimes if I wait long enough a hard yellowish fluid comes out which i can only assume is the pus hardening. If i pop them as soon as they appear I have to hold them between my thumb and forefinger with alot of pressure until the pressure is just to much and it ruptures. I have also found that using a sterile needle , pushing it through the first layer of skin usually works. Kind of like I am draining a boil. Which I get on my butt alot too. Now I have massive nasty looking scars on my hips. I do wear a toolbelt where I work and the bumps appear on or around my belt line. HELLLLPPPP!!!!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:13 pm

User avatar Hello,The skin has a bacterial flora with good and bad organisms.So long as the barrier is not breached all is fine.Meddle with it,or if the resistance is not good they gain entry and form folliculitis.If the infection goes deeper abscess forms.Especially groin area,axilla,nose carry more bacteria flora.Diabetics are more prone so do people with lesser immunity.An antibacterial soap may help in recurrent folliculitis.Mupurocin creme is good as an external application.A course of zinc and iron supplement does lot good.Severe types need internal antibiotic.
 Hybridsquirre - Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:05 am

After countless research time i have just found this on another website. I belive this is what we all may have. Im going to ask my doc for the same meds. Good luck everyone i hope this helps. I really do belive that what this post says is true.

Hi, this happens to me all the time. It started when I was in high school and progressively got worse and worse. Mine sometimes grows to the size of a quarter before it pops with yellowish green puss along with blood that oozes out. So gross! I have one right now in fact. I didn't have one this morning but had one after work. Never really bothers me because it comes and goes. But lately it's coming one too often and I am embarrassed when I am intimate with my boyfriend.

I just got back from the doctor. He use to work with a plastic surgeon in London and he says this happens all the time, and mostly to women. It’s one of the most common consultations they get in the clinic. It's a staph infection. We constantly have bacteria living on our skin. We also have this protective layer that keeps these bacteria from entering. Friction from our thigh rubbing together wears that protective layer down therefore letting that bacteria enter our skin. This bacterium causes inflammation and puss. This makes perfect sense to me because I was wearing a dress today hence the thigh rubbing together. He says it has nothing to do with hygiene at all. He also says this is nothing to be embarrassed about athletes get them all the time. It occurs under the arms, groin area and the crack of our buttock.

He said unfortunately, there’s no cure. And chances are you will get them again and again. However, there are things you can do to make it less frequent. He gave me antibiotic to get rid of the bacteria. It’s called ARYTHROMYCIN, three times a day for seven days. He said most doctors will give you enough for 2 days because that’s how quickly it will take to make it go away but that won’t work. Because it will come back again taking it for two days will only make that bacteria resistant to the antibiotic. Taking it for seven days will ensure the death of all the bacteria. The other thing he suggested was an over the counter skin cleanser called 2% CHLORHEXIDINE. He said to use it in the shower, on the groin area, armpits and the crack of the buttock. He also said don’t rinse it right away leave it on for one minute before rinsing. Again, unfortunately this is something you will have to do for the rest of your life. He said that doing this routine will lessen the frequency up to one every two to three year.

This must be common because he gave me enough antibiotics for three boils. He said the moment it looks like it’s going to start, take it right away, three times a day for seven days.

I hope this helps, I am glad to finally get the answer to this painful disgusting boil on my inner thigh.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us