Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: small hard bump on back...what is it?

nelly145 - Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:12 pm

I am 21/female, in good health with no family history of any skin conditions. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a small, hard lump on my lower back. It is like a huge zit that is deep under the skin but won't come to a head. It doesn't hurt much, and it won't pop as it is fairly hard. It does not have much color to it. It does not seem to be diminishing in size either. I am worried about skin cancer, does this sound consistent with it or could it be something else? Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:03 pm

User avatar Hi nelly145,
Your description doesn't sound consistent with typical signs or symptoms of skin cancer. However, I would encourage an evaluation to identify if this is a presence of a type of, ie.,cyst etc.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:03 pm

Your description is suggestive of an epidermal inclusion cyst (EIC) which is also known as an epidermoid cyst. EIC is a smooth, skin-colored or whitish spherical lump buried within the skin which grows slowly over time and may periodically drain, extruding a substance which has an offensive odor.

Common sites are the back, head and neck. It may be confused with a lipoma which is usually softer, less well defined and has no head. I agree with Theresa Jones that it is unlikely to be malignant, but show it to a dermatologist for an evaluation. Please come back and tell us the findings.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us