Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: White Blotches Under Skin On Arms & Legs- Concern??

evo23 - Thu May 17, 2007 11:00 pm

Hi,

I have a concern im 23/ M, in the past month or so i have had These white spots/blothes under the skin of my arms and legs they are not raised in any way, i can not feel them and they do not itch, they come and go, if i lift my arms upwards they slowly diasspear but when i bring them back down they come back,its as if they may be caused by blood flow/circulation, i have no real symtoms other than my arms & legs feeling a little bit weaker than normal.

here is two links to images of my arm & leg

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/277/cimg3829to4.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6398/cimg3827wm5.jpg

Any info/advice on this concern Would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Evo
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 12:59 pm

User avatar From the pictures and your description it is likely that these spots are tied to the blood circulation. I suspect that they are not harmful. There is a similar condition in newborns known as cutis marmorata. It is due to the blood vessels closing and opening at various times. In newborns we attribute this to a "not quite fully mature" capillary/vessel system.

It is likely that you are experiencing a similar condition, although probably not due to immaturity.

I would suggest that you mention this to your doctor the next time you are in to get a direct examination.

Best wishes.
 evo23 - Sun May 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Mant Thanks Dr.Lowe for your reply & info. Kind Regards
 evo23 - Wed May 30, 2007 1:57 pm

I have not been to the doctors yet, do you really think that i should? and also could this be caused by any sort of sti's?
thats all i have been thinking about i have not had any sexual activity for about 8 months but i am still concerned this may be the cause, or could it be caused by stress ? i have been stressing alot latetly.

Regards
Evo
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 30, 2007 4:51 pm

User avatar I think it is unlikely that your skin findings are related to a sexually transmitted disease. This presentation would be unusual.

I do not think this is something that needs to be see emergently. You can probably just have it checked out at your convenience.

Keep in mind, however, that I am only looking at pictures and cannot properly give you a medical opinion due to the limitations of the internet. If you are concerned I would advise you to be seen sooner.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us