Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: dark purple spot on shaft of penis

kpg6762 - Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:38 pm

my girlfriend and i just recently started have protected sex and for both of us it was our first time. After 4th time we had sex i noticed a dark purple sport on the lower right side on the shaft of my penis (it looks almost like a really bad hicky). it doesn't itch or anything like that and from my research i think it might be fordyce but im not really sure and a second opinion would be great
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:52 pm

User avatar Hi Kpg6762,

Fordyce spots are typically small, raised lumps that appear skin colored or white. A purple spot may be a broken blood vessel (like a bruise) or a blood vessel that is closer to the skin.

Best wishes.
 kpg6762 - Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:08 am

so in that case in a broken blood vessel a big deal? will it go away?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:34 am

User avatar If it's a broken blood vessel it will go away on its own. Essentially it is a bruise. The vessel will heal fine.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us