Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Big Red lump on back of neck

 sydneydude - Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:09 pm

Hello, I have this rather large (abit larger than 1inch in diameter) red lump on the back of my neck (sensitive to touch) which is giving me annoying neck pain. It seems to come and go over the last 5 years usually only stays large for a day or 2 but it has been about 4 days now.

Previously it would form a head like a pimple and yellowish coloured fluid would drain and then all would be fine for a year or 2. This is about the 4th time it has appeared. I done a bit of research and realised it maybe related to a scalp problem (correct me if im wrong). Well I have had a cyst on my scalp for about 2 years which also secretes fluid occasionally, and am unsure if its related.

I have not been to a doctor in about 4 years or more, as I have never had a major reason to. If you could give me some information relating to this, would be much appreciated.

This is the information I got off your website.

"Occipital (back of skull)
Located at the junction between the back of the head and neck.

These are common in childhood infections. They are rare in adults unless there is a clear sign of scalp infection. They may reflect an early stage of generalized lymph node enlargement such as in HIV.

Kindest Regards
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:40 pm

User avatar Hello:
I would highly recommend that you have a dermatologist look at the lump. Since you have had it for a long time and it has not resolved, it would be good to have it biopsied for cancer. It could however, be something as simple as a serous-type cyst that could be removed surgically, but to be safe I would have it looked at.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us