Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Inflamed Navel

 reemachop - Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:34 am

Hi, I was just wondering what is wrong with me. I've had a swollen navel for a couple weeks now, and I've been taking medicine. But once the medicine is finished, the pain comes back. The swelling hasn't reduced at all. There's actually a lump coming out of my bellybutton like how some people's bellybuttons naturally stick out. I had a slight fever a couple days ago, but I'm fine now. I've been to a gynecologist, although I'm not sure if that is the type of doctor I should see for this problem. I am 18 years old, Female, no past surgeries, and the past diagnosis for this problem was a simple infection. No family history of this problem and I'm not on any medications. Please help me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
 Marceline F, RN - Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:28 am

User avatar Dear Reemachop,
You did not mention what kind of medication you were taking, or who prescribed it or for what reason. A protruding belly button could be a couple different things. Have you been having regular bowel movements? Are you frequently constipated? Have you ever had any abdominal surgeries or traumas? Sometimes, a lump can be a mass of stool that has stalled inside the colon.Sometimes a lump can be a hernia (an area of the abdominal wall that is weak, allowing bowel to protrude through it). There are simple tests that can be done at some doctor's offices, and at most emergency rooms that can help a diagnosis. These could be xrays, and cat scans, as well as a manual exam by an experienced practitioner. Some of these causes can be serious enough to need immedate attention. I would present to either a general practitioner (your primary medical doctor) or to an emergency room if you do not have a primary doctor, for further evaluation. Please let us know what the outcome is.
 reemachop - Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:45 am

The doctor said it was a bacterial infection and gave me antibiotics. But, that was before the lump formed. Before it was just painful around the navel. After using the antibiotics, it became swollen. I went to a doctor again yesterday and he said I had omphalitis. I'm actually in India on vacation. Here, they don't exactly pay a lot of medical attention and there are not emergency rooms. My bowel movements were regular before, but yesterday I noticed that my lower abdomen was really hurting. After I had a short bowel movement, it was fine. This happend 3 times. And also, I a nasty UTI that wouldn't go away for a few months. A couple of weeks ago it cleared up. But, a couple of days ago the burning in my ureter when I urinated started again. Could this be do to the lump on my navel? Or is it not related at all? I'm somewhat worried because I don't trust the doctors and the sanity here. Should I return to the US for medical attention? I've never had any abodominal traumas or surgeries. Please help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:17 am

User avatar Hello reemachop!

I think you need a direct clinical assessment as soon as possible. I understand your concerns about the quality of healthcare in a foreign country. I am sure there are many competent doctors and hospitals in India. It's just a matter of finding where they are.

One suggestion would be to call the U.S. embassy in India. Tell them about your concern. The U.S. embassy usually keeps a list of trusted hospitals and doctors that it recommends for U.S. citizens.

Let's try this approach first and let me know what happens.

Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us