Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: period for about 3 weeks?

brighton34 - Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:00 pm

I have had my period for about 3 weeks and I don't know if i should worry or not. I started this period 2 weeks after my last one. The past few days it has gotten heavier. I have never had problems with my period. I have been on Neurontin for headaches for about a month or so, could this affect my period? Should I give it a little more time or start to worry?
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:24 pm

User avatar Hello:
I can certainly understand why you are worried. That is a long time to have a period. Were your periods pretty regular before this? Is there any possibility you might have gotten pregnant? Other than a possible miscarriage from a pregnancy, there are several reasons for having a lengthy period. You could have benign tumors (called fibroids) that are causing the bleeding, or you could be experiencing a hormonal imbalance which prolongs your period. There are other causes also but what you need is a doctor to examine you to determine what is causing this. It is important not to let the bleeding go unchecked as you can develop anemia from the loss of blood. I urge you to see your physician to have this checked out.
Please let us know how you are doing. We care.
Kind Regards,
Carolyn
 Land23sb@yahoo.com - Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:18 pm

When you see a gyno you should ask about endometreosis, a thining of the uterin lining. Ask you mother, it is usually hereditary. Some times can be controled with birth control.
 Land23sb@yahoo.com - Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:20 pm

When you see a gyno you should ask about endometreosis, a thining of the uterin lining. Ask you mother, it is usually hereditary. Some times can be controled with birth control.
 anamenityuvlyfe - Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:42 pm

**Since it says to include the information..**

Sex: Female... duh.
Past Surgeries: I got my appendix out.. O.o
No medications..

Yeahh... well this isn't the first time that my period had lasted for for 3 weeks, or longer... it's really annoying... Yeahh... and like.. a year ago, I missed it for a almost 4 months... and then it mysteriously came back... it's just... really confusing me..
And.. also.. like... ever since I FIRST started my period.. there's always like.. this clump of like.. I don't know... dark blood and tissue... it's really like.. scary... and... yeahhh.. I don't know about going to the doctor about it.. it's soo embarising.... does anyone else know what I'm talking about, or can help?.. Am I dying of some type of excessive blood desease? .. Pff..

<3

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us