Question: early period while on the pill?!

blackdesert - Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:52 am

Ive been on the pill (21 day low dose oral) for the past 6months, and have got my period two days into the 7day break like clockwork! However, on friday I started bleeding slightly. I thought this was just a little breakthrough bleeding but yesterday it escalated into a proper period (I believe it is anyway, its very heavy and I have the normal crampiness etc.) Im quite concerned about this because that means it started while I still have 5 pills left to take, making my period a whole week early! I didnt know this was possible, should I be worried? Should I still take my 7 day break on wednesday, will I be protected if I do? I don't really understand why this has happened, I take my pill at EXACTLY the same time every day, and have never missed one. I had sex for the first time in 6 weeks on monday (my boyfriend was away), could that have anything to do with it? Im so confused, Id be grateful of any help!!
 Binkalette - Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:22 pm

Don't worry about it..I've had my period early on the pill too.. I don't know what kind your taking, but I'm on ortho tri cyclen lo.. I got my period a few days early once with some hormone pills left..I just kept on taking my pills like normal and told my boyfriend that we weren't doing it that month because I wanted to make sure that it was going to get back to normal on it's own and that I didn't need to go into the doctor and change pills or something. Sometimes on the lo dose pills the dosage isn't strong enough to keep the uterine lining there all month, that's usually what starts spot bleeding, but it could make your full period come too.. That's usually a sign that it's not a high enough dosage though. I would just wait it out a month and see if it returns to normal next month, and if it does.. it does :D and if it doesn't..then go to the doctor and ask about changing pills.