Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: lump under chin very painfull!

splume - Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:36 pm

I have noticed a lump about the size of a marble under my chin, centered between my lower jaw bones.. this lump is very painful and if I look up it feels like streching a pulled muscle. I am very worried about it. Can any one tell me what this could be and what I should do? I have had it for 2 days now, and it seems to be getting more painful.
 splume - Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:41 pm

Update... I went to the Doctor, and the lump under my chin is an enlarged salivatory gland. I had a cold sore, and apparantly I got bacteria in my cold sore and it infected my gland, thus the enlargement and tenderness... I am taking Augmentin 875 twice a day, and although the lump is still enlarged, the pain has subsided.
 Julie Silvestro - Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:08 pm

It is weird, I just noticed over the last couple of days a sorenesson the left side of my throat , almost where you take your pulse. I don't feal a lump but it hurts when I stretch to look up did you get any responses?

parkerfroid - Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:37 pm

I HAVE A LUMP UNDER MY JAW TO,AND IT IS QUITE PAINFUL TOO AND I HAVE A COLDSORE AND FILLS LIKE STRETCHING WHEN LOOKING UP.IF YOU PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT CAN YOU MOVE IT ABOUT.
 renee76 - Thu May 26, 2005 9:05 pm

i have a lump directly under my chin, it is a little tender, and is about the size of a pea. i also have a cold sore, and wondered if they were related. any advice or suggestions?
 renee76 - Thu May 26, 2005 9:08 pm

renee76 wrote:i have a lump directly under my chin, it is a little tender, and is about the size of a pea. i also have a cold sore, and wondered if they were related. any advice or suggestions?
its hard to tell, but it seems like it moves alittle bit
 Jenno - Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:36 pm

I have the same type of symptoms. I have a very painful lump under my chin. It is reoccurring. It will go away for a couple of months and then it comes back. It is very painful and I feel bad when it is there. I have not gone to the doctor. If anyone has any causes or cures please advise.
 Autumnlyfe - Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 am

I have this very same thing going on right and I also have a cold sore except it is below my lip. I feel so much better in reading these. m
 BobR - Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Thank you. I was worried about the lump under my chin until I found this website. Indeed, I have had a cold sore for 3 days now... and I can now see that there is a connection. I'm wondering whether to get an antibiotic or just tough it out...