Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: lump under chin very painfull!

splume - Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:36 pm

I have noticed a lump about the size of a marble under my chin, centered between my lower jaw bones.. this lump is very painful and if I look up it feels like streching a pulled muscle. I am very worried about it. Can any one tell me what this could be and what I should do? I have had it for 2 days now, and it seems to be getting more painful.
 splume - Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:41 pm

Update... I went to the Doctor, and the lump under my chin is an enlarged salivatory gland. I had a cold sore, and apparantly I got bacteria in my cold sore and it infected my gland, thus the enlargement and tenderness... I am taking Augmentin 875 twice a day, and although the lump is still enlarged, the pain has subsided.
 Julie Silvestro - Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:08 pm

It is weird, I just noticed over the last couple of days a sorenesson the left side of my throat , almost where you take your pulse. I don't feal a lump but it hurts when I stretch to look up did you get any responses?

Thanks
 parkerfroid - Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:37 pm

I HAVE A LUMP UNDER MY JAW TO,AND IT IS QUITE PAINFUL TOO AND I HAVE A COLDSORE AND FILLS LIKE STRETCHING WHEN LOOKING UP.IF YOU PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT CAN YOU MOVE IT ABOUT.
 renee76 - Thu May 26, 2005 9:05 pm

i have a lump directly under my chin, it is a little tender, and is about the size of a pea. i also have a cold sore, and wondered if they were related. any advice or suggestions?
 renee76 - Thu May 26, 2005 9:08 pm

renee76 wrote:i have a lump directly under my chin, it is a little tender, and is about the size of a pea. i also have a cold sore, and wondered if they were related. any advice or suggestions?
its hard to tell, but it seems like it moves alittle bit
 Jenno - Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:36 pm

I have the same type of symptoms. I have a very painful lump under my chin. It is reoccurring. It will go away for a couple of months and then it comes back. It is very painful and I feel bad when it is there. I have not gone to the doctor. If anyone has any causes or cures please advise.
 Autumnlyfe - Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 am

I have this very same thing going on right and I also have a cold sore except it is below my lip. I feel so much better in reading these. m
 BobR - Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Thank you. I was worried about the lump under my chin until I found this website. Indeed, I have had a cold sore for 3 days now... and I can now see that there is a connection. I'm wondering whether to get an antibiotic or just tough it out...

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us