Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: what does black mold do to a person

 lorena78 - Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:36 pm

we bought a trailer with water dammage and found out that it has black mold,all of us have had some kind of running nose drip problem,and minor aches and pains.. couold this be because of the mold..we have been living there for 6 months now,and are soon going to rip off the room with the mold.any precoutions we should take?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:54 pm

User avatar Lorena,
Molds are a class of fungi that prefer to grow in a moist environment. Molds can have an impact on human health, depending on the nature of the species involved, the metabolic products being produced by these species, the amount and duration of individual’s exposure to mold parts or products, and the specific susceptibility of those exposed.

Health effects generally fall into four categories. These four categories are allergy (which may explain the runny nose), infection, irritation (mucous membrane and sensory), and toxicity.

If you are going to handle the mold yourself then bear in mind that molds and their spores can contaminate humans through inhalation (breathing) or through skin contact. So wear a protective mask and protective clothes.

I am not an expert in cleaning molds but here is some info i found on a website that talks about the cleaning up process in detail. This should give you some insight:

To clean up and remove indoor mold growth, follow steps 1-6 as they apply to your home.

Identify and Fix the Moisture Problem - the most important step in solving a mold problem is to identify and correct the moisture sources that allowed the growth in the first place. Common indoor moisture sources include: Flooding, Condensation (caused by indoor humidity that is too high or surfaces that are too cold), Movement through basement walls and slab, Roof leaks, Plumbing leaks, Overflow from tubs, sinks, or toilets, Firewood stored indoors, Humidifier use, Inadequate venting of kitchen and bath humidity, Improper venting of combustion appliances, Failure to vent clothes dryer exhaust outdoors (including electric dryers), Line drying laundry indoors, House plants - watering them can generate large amounts of moisture. To keep indoor surfaces as dry as possible, try to maintain the home's relative humidity between 20-40 percent in the winter and less than 60 percent the rest of the year. You can purchase devices to measure relative humidity. Ventilation, air circulation near cold surfaces, dehumidification, and efforts to minimize the production of moisture in the home are all very important in controlling high humidity that frequently causes mold growth in our cold climate.

Begin Drying All Wet Materials - as soon as possible, begin drying any materials that are wet. For severe moisture problems, use fans and dehumidifiers and move wet items away from walls and off floors. Check with equipment rental companies or restoration firms to see if you can rent fans and dehumidifiers.

Remove and Dispose of Mold Contaminated Materials - Items which have absorbed moisture (porous materials) and which have mold growing on them need to be removed, bagged and thrown out. Such materials may include sheet rock, insulation, plaster, carpet/carpet pad, ceiling tiles, wood products (other than solid wood), and paper products. Likewise, any such porous materials that have contacted sewage should also be bagged and thrown away. Non-porous materials with surface mold growth may be saved if they are cleaned well and kept dry. Take Steps to Protect Yourself - the amount of mold particles in air can increase greatly when mold is disturbed. Consider using protective equipment when handling or working around mold contaminated materials. The following equipment can help minimize exposure to mold: Rubber gloves, Eye goggles,Outer protective clothing,filter dust mask. Take steps to protect others. Enclose all moldy materials in plastic bags, Hang plastic sheeting to separate the work area from the rest of the home, Damp clean the entire work area to pick up settled contaminants.

Clean Surfaces - surface mold growing on non-porous materials such as hard plastic, concrete, glass, metal, and solid wood can usually be cleaned. Cleaning must remove and capture the mold contamination, because dead spores and mold particles still cause health problems if they are left in place. Thoroughly scrub all contaminated surfaces, Collect excess cleaning liquid with a wet/dry vacuum, mop or sponge, n Rinse area with clean water and collect excess rinse water.

Disinfect Surfaces (if desired) - after cleaning has removed all visible mold and other soiling from contaminated surfaces, a disinfectant may be used to kill mold missed by the cleaning. In the case of sewage contamination, disinfection must be performed.

Mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup bleach per gallon of water and apply to surfaces where mold growth was visible before cleaning. The solution can be applied with a spray bottle, garden sprayer, it can be sponged on, or applied by other methods.

Collect any run-off of bleach solution with a wet/ dry vacuum, sponge or mop. However, do not rinse or wipe the bleach solution off the areas being treated. Allow it to dry on the surface.

Remain on Mold Alert - Continue looking for signs of moisture problems or return of mold growth. Be particularly alert to moisture in areas of past growth. If mold returns, repeat cleaning steps and consider using a stronger solution to disinfect the area again. Regrowth may signal that the material should be removed or that moisture is not yet controlled.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us