Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Please help me out: swollen penis

 dolphin81 - Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:14 pm

Dear specialist,
I'm 24 years old, never have sex before and I'm uncircumcised. Few days ago, I pulled back the circumcise to expose the foreskin; the 1st day, everything was ok. But the 2nd day, it is wollen right behind th eforeskin (the mushroom). I don't know how to treat it. Is it the serious problem? What kind of medicine should I take to make this swollen skin disappear?
Thank for your expert advise.
 Derek H, RN - Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:50 pm


Is this the first time anything like this has happenned to you?

When the foreskin is pulled back behind the head of the penis and does not retract it can cause swelling and discomfort, a condition known as phimosis. this can be a very painful situation, you can try to gently ease the foreskin back over the penis by using lubrication gel but if this does not work and the foreskin stays there you WILL have to see your doctor as you may need surgery very quickly.

Let me know how things turn out.

best wishes
 dolphin81 - Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:27 pm

Dear specialist,
Thank for your expert advise. I will do as the way to instruct and let see how it is going. By the way if after I pull it forward, is it still swollen for a short time or it still be swollen? I wish I could not get surgery :cry: .
Please provide me your experienced opinion.
Thank you so much.
 Derek H, RN - Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:45 am

Simon, Hello

When the foreskin is pulled back into its original place after such an aincident then the foreskin can still be swollen for a while, if this keeps going and the pain and swelling don't ease then you will have to see your doctor.

Kep in touch and let me know how you get on

Best wishes
 dolphin81 - Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:27 pm

Dear specialist,
Sorry for asaaking you more. I would like to pull the foreskin back by myself but I don't know what kind of lubrication gel to use. I searched online and it instructed me to use a kind of oil and its name is bethamenone .25%; however it is required the precsription of the doctor. So can you please give me the name of lubrication oil which I can buy at the phamarcy without the doctor precsription? I worry I buy the wrong one and it will resuld in the infection.
By the way, what is the difference between PARAPHIMOSIS and PHIMOSIS? The word looks like the same but I wonder the meanning.
Thank for your fast reply and professional advice.
Since I got your message, I felt more comfortable.
 Derek H, RN - Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:38 pm

Hello Simon,

Firstly thanks for getting back in touch,

Try using a simple lubricating gel that does not contain any sort of steroid such as KY Jelly, if that does not work any other simple lubricant that should be widely available from your local pharmacy.

The difference between Paraphimosis and Phimosis is this.

A Paraphimosis is a surgical emergency where the foreskin is pulled back behind the head of the penis and causes the penis and the skin to become swollen and extremely painful, reducing Blood supply and excesive pain.

A Phimosis is a term used for any other cause that means the foreskin is behind the head of the penis but does not cause any problematic smptoms.

If you cant get the foreskin to return to its original position then you will have to seek medical help.

Let me know how things go.

Best wishes.
 vegotoone - Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:01 pm

Dear specialist

Yesterday while in the shower i was washing myself and noticed i had no soap.. so i went out and used some of that dish soap that says its soft on your skin and what not to wash.. so then i started to msturbate withj it in the shower.. got out and everything was fine.. now i wake up this morining and my penis is swollen..

I need advice on what to do, what medicine to take, or to go to the doctor or just wait it out.

help is appreciated

 mystique1234 - Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:08 am

hi i have not had sex and i pulled my foerskin back and it would not go back on i am uncircumcised and i have a ballon under my fore skin i need ive tried luberbacating it back but it want work what will they do in surgery
 mystique1234 - Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:21 pm

hi any1 who has the mush under the forskine go to the hospital they will give you a strong pain killer and the put a gell on your penis to make it numb more talk about it im on :) don't worry.
 AnswerPlease1234 - Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Iv had the same problem it is quite painful and has been swolen for a while but it is not behing the head of the penis, anything i can do to have it heal?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 am

User avatar Hello,You must have had a mild balanitis due to irritation.Vaseline would help.If it is due to yeast clotrimazole creme would do to clear.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us