Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Man with constant muscle cramps x 4 years

justme29697 - Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:31 am

I am a 50 year old white male. I have been experiencing muscle cramps in different parts of my body for no reason. These cramps are happening in my sides, back, lower abdomen, legs, arms, toes, fingers, and neck. They can last from a couple of minutes to 45 minutes off and on. They come on at any time. Even while I am sleeping. This has been going on for well over 4 years now and seem to be getting worse and lasting longer. Sometimes these cramps are so severe and hurts so bad I cry in pain. I try to stretch to get them to stop, my wife massages the area for 10 to 20 minutes which does help some. But after the cramp stops there is a twitching in that area like the cramp is just waiting for me to move wrong so it can start over again. I first noticed getting these cramps while working at a drum remanufacturing plant where we would clean used drums and load them on trucks. It was summer and I over worked myself to the point where I quit sweating. Then I got cramps all over my body at one time that made me curl up into a ball and was extremely painful. After drinking small sips of water with salt they subsided over an hour timespan. I quit working there but since then I have these cramps. If I work to much they come on. If I am just sitting in my recliner they come on. Even while fast asleep I get them and they hurt so bad.
I have been to two doctors. Each doctor took every test they could think of and all my results come back normal. The first doctor said it was all in my head and I was imaging them. The second doctor after taking all of his tests says he has no idea why I get them and that is as far as I have got. They took blood gases and blood tests for everything. I could not even begin to explain the tests they took but each says there is no more tests they could do. The only test I know of they have not done was a spinal tap to see whats happening there.
I look up cramping in men on the internet and get nothing. Its like I am the only person experiencing these awful cramps. My body is constantly sore as if it is bruised from the inside. And I always hurt from them.
Have you ever heard any other man having these cramps and if so can you direct me somewhere that I could get some help. Please, I can not take much more of this.
I am not on any medications. No family history of this illness.
Thank you.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:08 pm

User avatar Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome, hereafter known as "CFIDS", is a complex disease involving multi-system disturbances and abnormalities. Here are some basic facts about CFIDS and its symptoms:

It is a debilitating condition marked with extreme exhaustion and fatigue. CFIDS patients have a severe chronic fatigue experience some of these symptoms, sore throat, tender lymph nodes, muscle pain, multi-joint pain without swelling or redness, headaches of a new type, pattern or severity, unrefreshing sleep.

Speak to your Doctor to see if "CFIDS" could be the culprit behind your pain.

Dr. Anderson
 justme29697 - Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Dr. Anderson,

Thank you for your reply. May I ask a question? How does my cramping relate to this desease when after looking up CFID it only refers to muscle pain and twitching. These cramps I have are long lasting and extremely painful. I have restless sleep sometimes due to waking up with cramps but that was really all I could relate to this desease. Please explain. I really want to know more why you think this might be related to this condition. Thank you so very much.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:48 pm

User avatar Without being able to to examine you and solely reling on your symptons there could be more than 1 illness that is effecting you ,"CFID" could be responsible for the initial discomfort you are experiencing with your muscle cramps.

It is possible to have more than 1 ailment at a time and one aliment has nothing to do with the other. Speak to your physcian about the possibility of having "CFID" as your primary pain.

Anexity attacks can cause increased physcial discomfort, there is a wide rang of anexity medications available to help you cope with the pain, consult your doctor about what if any medication will be good for you.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Anderson
 hoopy1111 - Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:40 am

It kinda looks like this user might not be on this site anymore, but I am going to reply anyhow. I have the exact same thing and have had it for many many years. Sometimes it is worse than othes and the simple things in life can bring one on. Just sitting not doing one thing can also bring it on. I have suffered so bad with this cannot even back my car up, if I turn I cramp up. It is all over my body not just in one place. I found out by going to a forum one day I was so upset from being awaken from a sound sleep with a leg cramp that I didn't know if I was going to get it worked out or not. I looked it up just by typing simple... leg cramps.. went to a forum and found a lady there who had post the same thing. I took her advice and started taking MAGNESIUM CITRATE @ 200MG TWICE A DAY.

Within 45 minutes my twitching and cramps eased off some. So 4 hours later I took two more. It seems to be the only thing that helps.

I still have the problem and when it starts to bother me I take a couple of them and it helps, but the problem I am having now is.... the cramps and twitching is inside my body, I mean it feels like my organs are moving. I am beyond childbaring years and if I wasn't I would think I was with child. I move all the time in side my organs?????

I have no idea what that is all about, been having some severe pain in my tummy and kinda point to the gall bladder and had testing with ultra sound and blood work and it all came back good? Yesterday I was sitting on the couch visiting with a friend who hardly ever stops by and all of a sudden I jumped up and the pain is totally unbareable, I cannot stop moving when this happens, you cant sit, lay all I can do is walk around kinda streching my body and found if I get on all four it helps?

When it does finally go away, I can still kinda feel it in there like it wants to start back and I have to be real careful what I do so I sit real still. It is the worse pain I have ever felt in my life. it can be anywhere from the breast bone area, to my right side under my breast and yesterday it was down lower toward my navel side.

Anyone have any idea? I had a colonospy 2 years ago and all my blood work came back good on recent testing, I just don't know and when I try and explain it to a doctor not much is said.. but one did order the gall bladder after I went to the ER room.

Joanna H, RN-BC - Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi there. I am sorry you have been so uncomfortable for so long. Cramping can be a very complex, or sometimes a very simple issue. You stated that the cramps initiated when you had "stopped sweating." My first impression was that when a person "stops sweating" it is usually an issue of dehydration. With dehydration there is also an affect on the body where your levels of Sodium and Potassium are depleted. One of the first affects of this is "muscle cramps." You have been dealing with these for four years now, so I am assuming this is not an issue for you to "go to the Emergency Room." I would take a look at these electrolytes in your body by having your Dr. draw some blood levels on you when you are experiencing the cramping. Are you a heavy coffee drinker, or do you drink alot of "soda pop" containing caffeine? Caffeine in coffee and soda is one of the best "diruetics" around meaning that the caffeine can cause your kidneys to "throw off" water ifrom your body. As the kidneys are stimuated to "take off water" by the caffeine, you will also lost sodium and potassium in the process which can cause severe cramping in the muscles. In reading your question, this issue of electrolyte depletion was the first thought I had. Also, in the evening it is very normal for a person to not take in as much fluid as they would during the daytime thus depleting your fluid volumn in your body just before bedtime and again causing increased electrolyte depletion. A very good source of potassium is to simply eat a banana, or drink a big glass of orange juice. Sometimes eating and drinking these alone can make muscle cramps go away. Again, I do suggest you check this out further with your Family Physician as this can be as simple as electrolyte depletion, or it could be merely a symptom of a problem that needs to be diagnosed and treated further.
 AlaskaJack - Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Wow!
I have EXACTLY the same cramping situation as justme29697! Cramps in my stomach muscles, hands, fingers, tongue, throat, neck, back, arms, legs, toes.... did I leave anything out?? They come on out of the blue. Day or night makes no difference. Doctor hasn't a clue.
I keep hydrated, eat well, take vitamins. Don't drink or smoke.... I just have cramps of the muscle type. I do have COPD and take Combivent, Flunisolide and Formotorol.. all in the form of inhalers. No other meds. Going crazy from these darn cramps!! Help!!!

AlaskaJack