Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Strange lump on the head

 mol5896 - Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:41 am

Hope someone can help here. My brother is 21yrs old. Very healthy. No past illnesses or injuries. Months ago he notices a lump on the top back of his head. When he showed me it was quite large, about the diameter of a golf ball. The lump was kind of soft and movable. We have been keeping an eye on it. It seems to vary in size from time to time. It gets bigger then smaller and also it goes from hard to soft. We took him to his primary care physician the other day because it seems that one side of it kinda went down and if you run your finger along the skull where the lump went down on one side it feels as though his skull bone is gone and you can push your finger down into his head. His doctor is stumped! He said it is very strange and that he has no clue what it is. He said the weird thing is that it is where his soft spot would have been (on the back of his head) when he was a baby. When asked about the skull feeling like it is gone in that certain spot, he said it could be something attatched to the brain and growing out of the skull. Is that possible? The doctor is not very alarmed and doesn't seem to think that it is anything life threating. He told him to get a cat scan done but my brother doesn't have any insurance til Jan. of next year so, he told him to keep an eye on it and he can come back then to have it dealt with. He said it hasn't caused any problems all this time so he doesn't expect it to start. He is calling it a cyst for now. Have you ever heard about anything like this? My brother says that it kinda hurts if you press on it and sometime it hurts like a pimple. Doc said it is not an infection or abscess of any kind and says it may actually be something he was born with but is just showing up now. We are really stumped and still quite concerned. Any Ideas on what this could be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:34 pm

User avatar I'm a little at a loss as to what this may be without directly examining your brother. I would tend to agree with your brother's doctor. A CT scan or MRI is likely in order to better characterize the mass and its origin.

If there is a way to get the study done sooner, that would be better; however, if it is not possible until January this is probably OK as long as you keep an eye on it. If the mass starts changing it will be necessary to have it done sooner.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us