Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: numbness

allison - Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:33 am

I've noticed a numb patch of skin on the outside of my lower leg, perhaps 6-8 inches long and 1-2 inches wide. The patch of skin is not completely numb, but surface sensations are nearly indetectable. I just noticed that there is a small patch of numbness on my "big toe." I recently saw a physician's assistant at my university's student medical center who said it would probably be wise to "wait and see." I know this is not "normal" but am wondering what may be the probable cause, if any is decipherable, and if these things happen benignly for no known reason. Thank you.
Allison
 DonP - Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:31 pm

I too have experienced numb patches of skin over the past couple of years. It has occurred on my wrist, elbow, knees, and toe. It starts with a painful burning sensation when the area is stretched. After a few days the burning sensation is replaced with a mild numbness. By mild I mean that the area can feel a little sensation but not much. The numbness then persists for months and eventually the sensation returns to the area.

One interesting item of note . . . right now I have one of these numb patches on my left elbow. When I bend the elbow and caress the skin on the front of the elbow, I can feel the caress on the back of the elbow even though there is not contact in that location.

Any ideas what this might be?

DonP