Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: tingling in my right hand

jester5532 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:37 am

for some time now ive had a tingling sensation in my right hand, but most severly in my fingers, not enough to cause pain, and mostly when my arm is raised slightly, my fingers still have the color in them, its noticeable in all five fingers, sometimes most noticable in the thumb, at times first starting in the little finger. at the last exam I had I was told my tendinitus was barely anything, and I don't really have any pain associated with this sensation, on a similar note I can only sleap on my right side, if I sleap on the left, which is more comfortable, my left arm "falls asleap" fairly quickly. ive done a home Blood sugar test fasting, on a few occasions and all were under 100. I do equal amounts of work with my left hand aswell but am not experiancing the tingling sensation in that hand.
Dr. Pradeep Bhandari - Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:06 pm

It seems that you have got a condition called Carpal tunnel syndrome which is usually caused by the overuse of hands and wrists. Pressure on a nerve (median or ulnar nerve) in the wrist causes tingling, numbness, weakness, or pain in the fingers and hand.

When symptoms of Carpal tunnel syndrome are mild or likely to be temporary, treatment includes rest, Anti-inflammatory drugs, and a metal splint. Even if a patient wears a splint that has been prescribed, he or she should avoid the activities that caused or aggravate the injury. Where this is not possible, patients should wear the splint after work and particularly during sleeping hours.

Surgery may be necessary if the symptoms are severe and if the other measures do not provide any relief. Surgery should not be the first choice for treatment. Even after surgery, a number of patients may still have some problems. Weakness of grip in the operated hand persists in about 30 percent of cases.
It is not unusual to wake up in the morning with numbness or tingling if you sleep on your hand. This may temporarily cut off blood flow to your hand or put pressure on a nerve. If this is the case, the feeling will come back within a minute or two. I wonder if this is true in your case, but please note that numbness and tingling are more serious when:

You have a complete loss of feeling.
You have symptoms of decreased blood flow, such as pale, white, blue, or cold skin.
You have muscle weakness not caused by pain.
Symptoms don't go away.
Symptoms go away, but keep coming back.

I hope this is helpful.