Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: numb hands upon waking up in the morning

idiotjack - Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:20 pm

I have been experiencing this for past 3 months or so- began as slight tingling in the hand (began with more often in the left) it is now changed to a feeling of numbness in both hands without much tingling. Its a every day feature now - Lasts just for about couple of minutes upon waking up and disappears after being awake and even if I am lying down. Not sure if I wake up due to the feeling. doesnt seem to be coming if i only lie down, but seems to be present only if i have undergone deep sleep/REM. Not entirely sure of this though. No pain, doesnt trouble too much, but worried about the cause. During this numbness I have noticed that if i move the little finger it moves with a jerk. Not a smooth movement. Once the numbness is gone in a couple of minutes, then the movement is smooth in the right little finger, but continues to be a bit jerky in the left. Not sure if this was present in the left before this started. Used to walk a significantly for my morning walk (for about an hour, about 7 kms, with steep uphills and downhills included), and have noticed in the past that the tingling which was iniitially there reduced after stopping the walk for more than a fortnight or so. ANd started again after I resumed teh morning walk. But its been a while now that I have stopped the walk due to a sprained ankle, but morning numbness continues to be there. Also i seem to get the tingling (pins n needles) in the feet and arms very easily than before when sitting/resting in awkward positions.
 idiotjack - Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:24 pm

I just posted the message above - i forgot to mention Im a 31 year male, and marginally overweight.
 V0680 - Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi, I was just wondering whether you had received any feedback on this post or generally on your condition. I have almost identical symptoms and am becoming a little concerned so any information would be very much appreciated!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us