Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Swollen left testicle

cma1006 - Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:09 pm

My husband recently informed me about 3 days ago that he was having pain in his testicle and it was swollen..when he showed me, I thought it was VERY large and firm (about 3xs the size of the right). He said that it is a very weird feeling not really painful but a heaviness...he feels the pain in his stomache. He has lower back pain and he is always tired. Also, he has no sex drive; which for him is very unusual..he is just always too tired.
This isnt the first time that he has had pain...about a year ago maybe sooner, he had pain too.

I suggested that he go to his doctor but he insists on waiting at least a week or two to see if it goes away...he said maybe he strained in when working out or it was an ingrown hair and didnt want to make a big deal out of nothing.

Can anyone give me some insight...is this normal, has anyone else had something similar and it turn out to be nothing? I am afraid that he has testicular cancer or something..
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:30 am

User avatar Possible causes include cancer, testicular torsion, inguinal hernia, epididymitis, hydrocele, and varicocele. Other conditions include lymphedema which is a painless swelling that results from blockage of lymph by a tumor or gland in the pelvis or abdomen. Mumps in the adults can lead to a painful swollen testicle that can lead to loss of function and infertility. A spermatocele is another condition that may require surgical attention. A swollen testicle is not a condition that can wait he should consult his doctor immediately. All the above causes need to be evaluated as quickly as possible.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us